Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Another Singer Model 66 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/another-singer-model-66-a-t257503.html)

Blackberry 11-29-2014 12:01 PM

Another Singer Model 66

7 Attachment(s)
This is another Model 66 Singer that I couldn't resist for $20. The decals on the machine are in really nice condition. The case alone is worth more than that. The machine was owned by the gentlemen's mother that was selling it. He said she had purchased it new but he couldn't remember when. The serial number puts the mfg date around June of 1914 which would make the machine 100+ years old. The lady passed away in 2004 and this machine has been in his house since that date. The face plate on this machine is a lotus face plate which seems kind of strange unless the gentleman has his facts wrong about how the machine was purchased. Also there are deep grooves in the center of the base decal which go down to the bare metal. I don't know how to fix something like this so it will probably remain as it is. It would be interesting to know how they were made and what caused someone to be so destructive. At any rate, here I have another Singer redeye with a nice case that has the key. I am going to measure the case and with the box extension see if maybe there is enough room to make this an HC and still put the dome lid on.

Champanier 11-29-2014 12:41 PM

Very nice! The lotus faceplate is interesting. I wonder whether the owner had a lotus first and liked the design better?

Sad to see the damage to the center decal. I think I'd leave it alone though.

The handcrank would be nice. Enjoy your new beauty!

Rodney 11-29-2014 01:38 PM

Very nice! Someone really hated that red eye staring back at them. Probably one of the first owner's kids.
Rodney

oldtnquiltinglady 11-29-2014 03:10 PM

I am looking at that space below the hand wheel, and unless you can get someone to rig you up a real special turning handle, or something that will fold down, I can't see how one can be used with that cover. But, good luck.

miriam 11-29-2014 05:27 PM

CD drills a hole for the HC - works, too - I tried it

Quincunx 11-29-2014 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6988411)
Very nice! Someone really hated that red eye staring back at them. Probably one of the first owner's kids.
Rodney

Put that together with the red eye faceplate being taken off and it starts to tell a story. :shock:

nygal 11-30-2014 02:24 AM

Wow what a great low price!!

KLO 11-30-2014 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6988411)
Rodney

Yep, that was my thought too. Can't you just see the sewer walking away to iron a piece of fabric and coming back to see her 4 year old scratching away at that decal with something metal? Still, what a beautiful machine!

ppquilter 11-30-2014 06:29 PM

Great find! Nice, this is what i found to turn into my handcrank.!

miriam 11-30-2014 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by KLO (Post 6989868)
Yep, that was my thought too. Can't you just see the sewer walking away to iron a piece of fabric and coming back to see her 4 year old scratching away at that decal with something metal? Still, what a beautiful machine!

I think I know how that adult felt. We bought a new car and my at that time 8 year old oldest kid carved his name on the door...