Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Antique sewing machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/antique-sewing-machines-t169778.html)

sylviasmom 11-25-2011 07:41 AM

Antique sewing machines

A few weeks ago my hubby and I went to a barn sale in Aguilar, Co. In a shed the owner had about 20 sewing machines, mostly heads. You could tell that some at one time had been in cabinets as they still had the hinges attached. I am guessing at the years of manufacturing, probably '20s or '30s. All black heads with various decals, such as Red Eye. I saw one that intrigued me, Greek or Roman lady on a chaise lounge. Have never seen this decal
There was only one red machine. And most were Singer. The price for each 25.00. The owner has no plans to restore any of them. The idea of buying them all or some, is spinning in my head. Hmmmmm.

Charlee 11-25-2011 08:03 AM

It would be spinning in my head too!! I'd for sure be after the ones with the different decals...and that red one! :)

Linkbeth 11-26-2011 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by sylviasmom (Post 4718524)
A few weeks ago my hubby and I went to a barn sale in Aguilar, Co. In a shed the owner had about 20 sewing machines, mostly heads. You could tell that some at one time had been in cabinets as they still had the hinges attached. I am guessing at the years of manufacturing, probably '20s or '30s. All black heads with various decals, such as Red Eye. I saw one that intrigued me, Greek or Roman lady on a chaise lounge. Have never seen this decal
There was only one red machine. And most were Singer. The price for each 25.00. The owner has no plans to restore any of them. The idea of buying them all or some, is spinning in my head. Hmmmmm.

Wow! talk about hitting the 'mother lode' of vintage finds.. Enjoy and keep us posted...

Caroline S 11-26-2011 07:27 AM

I think I would have done my Christmas shopping early! Maybe made an offer on taking several of the best ones. The lady on the chaise lounge is intriguing.

miriam 11-26-2011 12:12 PM

I did that once. I bought a bunch of Singer 404s from a school. I forgot what I paid.

fluffygirl 11-26-2011 04:13 PM

Oh my gosh! I think I would be considering that too! But then, I hope I would be reasonable :shock:, maybe not!

Pat

BarbaraSue 11-26-2011 04:56 PM

I would have had a hard time leaving without at least 2, no 3, maybe 4 or 5, nono, 6.............!!

miriam 11-26-2011 05:29 PM

offer a lower price than you expect to pay for all of them - I did and I got 15.

Nanamoms 11-26-2011 07:09 PM

I couldn't have left w/o that RED one!!!

cabbagepatchkid 11-27-2011 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4718572)
It would be spinning in my head too!! I'd for sure be after the ones with the different decals...and that red one! :)

Yep....what Charlee said!!!! Hope you at least get a few of them.