Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Any ideas what this gadget is? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/any-ideas-what-gadget-t250743.html)

J Miller 07-25-2014 07:09 AM

Any ideas what this gadget is?

1 Attachment(s)
I found this in the goodie bag from my SILs newly acquired 66-14 treadle:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]484887[/ATTACH]
Any ideas what kind of tool this might be?

Joe

Christine- 07-25-2014 07:12 AM

It looks like a guide of some kind, could it be for the leather belt?

ThayerRags 07-25-2014 08:06 AM

If it has a sharp edge in under the spring, it could be a thread cutter.....

CD in Oklahoma

J Miller 07-25-2014 09:54 AM

CD,

I checked it over real good for a sharp edge under the spring. Didn't see any. So I tried some thread but it didn't cut.

So, I guess it's not a thread cutter.

Joe

Tartan 07-25-2014 10:42 AM

It might not be sewing machine related. I am wondering if it has something to do with a wood stove. The old wood stove my Grannie had had a handle with wire coils along it so it didn't get too hot to handle. I looked under my old treadle and the only thing under it is a chain for putting the machine up and down. I know some treadles have a device for flipping the belt off and on but I don't know what that looks like.

J Miller 07-25-2014 11:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It's way to small to be part of a wood burning stove, but it does resemble the handles on old fashioned kettles and dutch ovens as well as the lid handles.

Here is a couple pics of a Singer treadle derailleur:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]484916[/ATTACH]
The derailleur is at the end of the arrow.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]484917[/ATTACH]
Close up of the derailleur.

Joe

Tartan 07-25-2014 02:00 PM

Okay, my treadle does have a gadget like that but I have never used it.:)

Christine- 07-25-2014 04:49 PM

I think it's a guide for a treadle table, the kind where the machine folds down and is hidden away. The belt would hang down if it wasn't attached to the corner of the machine, right? I think it's a guide that pulls the belt along with the machine when it's folded down into the table. The spring surrounding the loop would allow the belt to bend/fold up and it wouldn't get a kink in the leather during long term storage inside the table.

If I'm right, what's my prize? Do I get the treadle in the picture????

manicmike 07-26-2014 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6817162)
So, I guess it's not a thread cutter.

Well, not a good one :p

J Miller 07-26-2014 06:26 AM

Christine,

I don't know if you're right or not. I honestly do not know what it is or does. I've got 5 functioning treadles and none of them have anything like that item. It might not have anything to do with sewing.

As for the machine in the pictures .... ummm, that's not the prize. It's my #2 Singer 66 treadle.

Joe