Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Any suggestions for my Singer 15? help please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/any-suggestions-my-singer-15-help-please-t101757.html)

thepolyparrot 02-22-2011 12:01 PM

Maybe a little more good news for you?

Some of the knee control levers in Singer cabinets are built in and wired to a switch box (or whatever they call it), but most of the knee control levers depress the button on an ordinary button-style bakelite foot control. :)

If you push straight down on the foot control, (sometimes, you pull straight up) it will slide out of the bracket and you'll be able to use it on the floor where it belongs. ;) Check and see if this is the case with your cabinet. You should be able to tell with a little fiddling around how the control is positioned in the bracket.

Debbie B 02-22-2011 02:37 PM

Whoo-Hoo...you're right. It's a little switch box that has a button of sorts on it. And it snaps right out. Thank you, Thank you, Debbie B

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Maybe a little more good news for you?

Some of the knee control levers in Singer cabinets are built in and wired to a switch box (or whatever they call it), but most of the knee control levers depress the button on an ordinary button-style bakelite foot control. :)

If you push straight down on the foot control, (sometimes, you pull straight up) it will slide out of the bracket and you'll be able to use it on the floor where it belongs. ;) Check and see if this is the case with your cabinet. You should be able to tell with a little fiddling around how the control is positioned in the bracket.

deedum 02-23-2011 04:17 AM

Thanks so much for your help with my Singer 15, am I ever enjoying the free motion on this machine! I just can't seem to stop practicing!

quilt addict 02-23-2011 10:04 AM

Thank you for the information. I learn something new here everytime. I will be on the lookout for one of these machines.

thepolyparrot 02-23-2011 07:15 PM

Careful, the 15's are addictive. :mrgreen: I'm on my fourth one - two of them, I've given away to people who wanted to learn to quilt, but I still have two and I would buy another one or two if they wandered in front of me at a "can't pass it up" price. I'm going to start teaching beginning quilting classes and I will like having extra machines for the students to work on.

These machines are so perfect for piecing, and people are going to have a lot of fun with the quilting, too. That's the first thing they ask me, "How did you get all these pretty designs in here?" Trying to pantomine how it's done, they look at me quizzically with their head tilted to the side and I know that when they see it, they're going to be just as crazy for it as I am. :)

thepolyparrot 02-23-2011 07:18 PM

If you're going to look on craigslist and such, be sure to look for the machine that looks like deedum's avatar - the tensioner is on the left side of the machine. Only the 15's and their clones made by other manufacturers are likely to have this tensioner on the faceplate. They're SUPER easy to refurbish, replace all the electrical, and you can buy repro parts for them very easily and cheaply. :)

deedum 02-25-2011 07:59 PM

The 15 is so powerful, it could be a bit over powering, but I am loving every minute of it! Wow!