Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   anyone here Treadle a Necchi BU? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/anyone-here-treadle-necchi-bu-t188971.html)

greywuuf 05-14-2012 12:55 PM

anyone here Treadle a Necchi BU?

I have looked at several vintage BU's needing help for pretty reasonable prices, and I am considering replacing my 306 with the Necchi as I like the built in ZZ as opposed to my 306 cam only ZZ, and I am also wondering what needles the BU takes ( hopefully it will be more standard than the 206x 13 of the 306)

MrsBoats 05-14-2012 01:55 PM

I treadle a BU Nova, and don't like it. Sweet, sweet machine, treadles smooth as silk, easy to switch between treadle and house power, but it takes high-shank feet, which leaves out every foot I own but the one on it. (That's why I've avoided slant machines, much as I like them. How many feet do I really need?) I'm seriously tempted to either A: lower the presser foot bar (I don't know how doable that is) or B: move it on to a new home. It does take ordinary 15x1 needles, which is nice. They are superb machines, whether treadled or powered.

greywuuf 05-14-2012 02:00 PM

Hmmm, Thank you for the insight, Luckily for me one of my singers is also a high shank machine, I might have to see about picking one up when I am in the states.

Can I ask you how much "Clearance" there is under the presser foot ?(I tend to sew thick seams and buildups) and does the ZZ seem pretty solid ?

Thank you
Dan

MrsBoats 05-15-2012 12:17 PM

The clearance between the foot and plate is 3/8", and it seems like it 'rides' over seam bumps easily-I've never managed to choke it yet.

The ZZ is also very nice, and one of the wider ones I've seen, although I didn't think to measure it.

I've got mine in a 7-drawer Singer cabinet, and it fits fine. BUT the hinge pin holes are *smaller* than the Singer hinge pins. You're either going to have to grind down the pins, bore out the holes, or find Necchi hinges to use instead. I did a bit of both-boring cast iron makes me nervous, so I also ground down the pins a bit. I think that Necchi hinges are offset, which means it wouldn't then fit in a Singer cab, but I'm not for sure on that.

It really is a gorgeous machine. I wish I liked it better-I'd use it more.

bearisgray 05-15-2012 01:00 PM

MrsBoats - why don't you like the machine?

I acquired one a couple of summers ago - I'm having a terrible time threading the needle.

greywuuf 05-15-2012 01:20 PM

Bear, she said in her first post that it uses Highshank feet, and does not have anything else that does. I think the lack of feet to fit and no desire to collect a second set is the only real complaint.

MrsBoats 05-16-2012 12:30 PM

Greywuuf is right. I do actually like the machine-it sews beautifully, and is almost silent when treadled--but the high shank is an issue, since it's the only one I have, and only came with the foot on it.

bearisgray 05-16-2012 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats (Post 5221564)
Greywuuf is right. I do actually like the machine-it sews beautifully, and is almost silent when treadled--but the high shank is an issue, since it's the only one I have, and only came with the foot on it.

Are different feet that hard to come by? The one I acquired has several (yippee! - but I doubt that I'll use many of them)

MrsBoats 05-16-2012 12:36 PM

No, they're not. Not quite as common as low shanks, but still fairly ordinary. I just refuse to buy yet more feet when I've got dozens of feet that fit every machine I own (except the top clamps, which are mostly for show anyway) except the Necchi.

bearisgray 05-16-2012 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats (Post 5221578)
No, they're not. Not quite as common as low shanks, but still fairly ordinary. I just refuse to buy yet more feet when I've got dozens of feet that fit every machine I own (except the top clamps, which are mostly for show anyway) except the Necchi.

I would be willing to bet that most people only use two or three of the presser feet that come with their machines.