Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Anyone interested in getting metal bobbins? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/anyone-interested-getting-metal-bobbins-t263069.html)

AlvaStitcher 03-24-2015 11:03 AM

Anyone interested in getting metal bobbins?

I have about 50 round metal bobbins that none of my present machines use. Anyone interested in them? They are yours for free!

CoalTownQuilter 03-24-2015 12:39 PM

I have a Singer 221 and a 301a........do you know if they will fit these machines? If so, I'll take them!!

AlvaStitcher 03-24-2015 12:46 PM

I'm sorry but I do not know what size or kind they are

J Miller 03-24-2015 01:05 PM

AlvaStitcher,

Post some pics and we can help ID them.

Joe

manicmike 03-24-2015 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 7139430)
AlvaStitcher,

Post some pics and we can help ID them.

Joe

Beat me to it Joe. They're 90% likely to be useless without a picture.

Macybaby 03-24-2015 03:15 PM

or - you can send them to me, I'll ID them, and repost and send them on to those that want them.

I've got about 20 different types that I know what they are for - and a few I've not determined yet. But I did just discover another round bobbin machine (very Eldredge/national) that I don't own yet.

lynnie 03-24-2015 03:34 PM

I'd love them, i'll make Christmas ornaments out of them.
please let me know. i'm not fussy about which ones or sizes.

NapaJohn 03-24-2015 04:08 PM

It would be a real shame to send them to someone who is not going to use them in a sewing machine. New metal bobbins are not the same quality and often don't work in machines. There are also a number of bobbins that are rare and hard to find. Some people look long and hard to find bobbins to fit special machines that they have and then have to pay a premium for the dwindling supply.

I get a little sick when I see a cabinet "upcycled" or treadle irons robbed to make godawful tables and I feel that same way when people make crap out of old parts. Yuck.

I have enough bobbins for my current machines so I don't need them but would certainly encourage you to send them to Macybaby so she can find homes for them where they will be used for what they were meant to be.

[/rant]

jlhmnj 03-24-2015 04:30 PM

Vintage Singer bobbins are fairly valuable. Someone with a variety of Singers (not me) should be darn glad to get them without looking the gift horse in the mouth.

Jon

Macybaby 03-24-2015 05:41 PM

I don't need more for myself, unless I found one for a GE Sewhandy . . . but I do have a large variety of machines to help determine what they are for.

I have
Early Singer IF (pre 15)
Singer 15, 115, 66, 301, 319, W9 - all take different bobbins (also have a T&S), and the hemstitcher and patcher.
Non Singers - White, New Home (old) Free (includes newer New Home)
Standard, old and new, and Sewhandy
National, two spool (newest) and rotary - looking for the very early rotary,takes different bobbins
Davis (yes, there is one)
Wheeler Wilson 9 (and know what 8 takes)
Plus - Elna, Bernina, Pfaff, Viking and my HQ.

I also have machines that take 11 of the 12 Boye shuttles, still looking for the 12th one (bought another that should be the one).

Some day I will put together a file with detailed measurements on all of them - but not until after my Shed is finished.