Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Anyone know anything about these? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/anyone-know-anything-about-these-t184892.html)

kydeb 04-03-2012 05:15 AM

Anyone know anything about these?

4 Attachment(s)
Okay, it's not so hard to be addicted to lusting after vintage sewing machines. Here are a couple in my area for sale. One is a Franklin (sold by Sears) and the other is a New England Queen. Anyone know anything about them? Are they worth pursuing? The list price on the Franklin is under $100 and it looks to be is okay, not great shape. The New England Queen looks to be in pretty good shape but it pricier. Thanks for taking a look and putting in your 2 cents worth!!!

Christine- 04-03-2012 05:37 AM

The treadle looks like it's been refinished. That would reduce it's value somewhat, but it does look like a wonderful machine! I love the coffin top. And the machine is in faaabulous condition!

Christine- 04-03-2012 05:40 AM

The franklin looks like all it needs is cleaning up but it's so dirty I can't tell if the cabinet has damage. The $100 price their asking is a bit high in my opinion, but someone more familiar with the Franklin machines will know better than I. The Franklin brand was a Sears machine. Here's some information on them:
http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html

jljack 04-03-2012 08:00 AM

I think a little less than $100 for the Franklin would be OK. They are really good machines, and the cabinet should clean up well as long as there's no water damage. If there is, then negotiate down...less than $80, say.

The other one looks great, but I wouldn't pay more than $125 for ANY treadle!! Unless it's the most rare of all models....and even then.... Treadles are really very common, and even though they are asking high $$, if you offer less, and then keep after them, they usually will sell for less. No one is getting full asking price....unless, of course, it is that elusive favorite of yours that you have been looking for...and even then... ???

Monroe 04-03-2012 02:48 PM

I don't know much about the values. I now avoid anything over $75. I really like many of the White (Franklin) cabinets. They are very impressive looking when cleaned up.

solstice3 04-04-2012 09:06 AM

Do you want it to collect dust or to use. If it is a collectible just to have....go cheap. If it is something you will use, pay extra and get something that is sound. I have a coffin-top Singer that was my grandma's and the wood was in rough shape. Because I am not concerned with resale value, I refinished the wood and kept the machine in good working order until the belt went.... got to get a new belt.

llindallovesllamas 04-04-2012 02:50 PM

Hi, Debbie, we must be in the same area, cause I saw those, too. Loved the New England Queen but , I too, thought it was a little high. Hope you find one!

J Miller 04-04-2012 03:09 PM

Some months back we bought a Franklin 1911 like the one you are asking about for around $180.00 after taxes. It is in a Parlor Cabinet rather than a regular treadle cabinet. It sews very nice although it's noisy as can be.
The machine needed cleaned and oiled, but was otherwise in good condition. The cabinet needed repair on the bottom due to water damage, but was otherwise in good shape.

With the cost of the materials and supplies I figure we have just over $225.00 in it. I don't care, I bought it to use and enjoy, not to display in a glass case.

Joe

callen 04-05-2012 04:50 AM

The New England cabinet & coffin top look like they must have been refinished - they look like brand new.
The Franklin looks like it just needs a good cleaning but can't say for sure as it has so much grime on it. Even the
cabinet looks like it would clean up nicely. Price - depends on how much you like them. One's trash is anothers treasure so it's an individual choice.

kydeb 04-05-2012 06:37 AM

Well, the person with the New England has never answered my email. I went and took a look at the Franklin and decided against. The cabinet, although it looked pretty good in the photos, needs a lot of work - it is missing whatever parts that actually hold the machine up. I offered her less (quite a bit less!) than what she wanted and she said that she wants what she's asking. I'm a real bargain hunter but I will only buy one that actually works - don't want a dust collector! I'll keep on the prowl! I know it's a matter of watching and a bit of luck finding that "deal!" Thanks for the input....the search continues :)