Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   anyone know why Buttonhole chisels are soooo expensive? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/anyone-know-why-buttonhole-chisels-soooo-expensive-t225008.html)

J Miller 07-03-2013 10:00 AM

Steve,

We have two button hole scissors that look nothing like the ones in your pic. And we have a button hole chisle set that came as a factory accessory in our ALDENS Magic ZZ machine. It has the wooden handle with interchangeable blades.
Of course, we have no pics of any of them.

Joe

SteveH 07-03-2013 10:23 AM

I would REALLY love to see the interchangeable blade set.... THAT is what I want to make...

J Miller 07-03-2013 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6157609)
I would REALLY love to see the interchangeable blade set.... THAT is what I want to make...

Steve,

OK, will get some pics taken and post them later today.

Joe

DogHouseMom 07-03-2013 12:11 PM

I find a them in antique/vintage sewing kits and boxes (which I also collect). Yes, some of them get VERY pricey, but I've always chalked it up to the box that the sewing implements are in. Some are quite extraordinary. I've not priced antique/vintage sewing implements individually.

When I say "I find them" ... that doesn't necessarily mean that I have "acquired" them. I mean to say that I see them for sale in the sewing kits/boxes ... sometimes I'm lucky enough to get one :)

kiffie2413 07-03-2013 12:24 PM

I keep learning new things here, too...another reason I love this board!
K

SteveH 07-03-2013 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6157737)
Steve,OK, will get some pics taken and post them later today.Joe

Bless you sir, may your camel spit nothing but dates....

J Miller 07-03-2013 03:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Steve,

Here is some pics of the button hole chisle:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422384[/ATTACH]
The cutting board grids are 1" square for reference.
Just below the blade in the black metal collar there is a small screw. One on each side that locks the blade in the handle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422385[/ATTACH]
End view showing the inner slotted ring the blade fits into.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422386[/ATTACH]
Close up of metal collar with lock screw for blade and the one metal rivit holding the metal collar on the wood handle. I'm pretty sure the rivit passes all the way through the handle.

Hope this helps, if you need more let me know.

Joe

SteveH 07-03-2013 04:15 PM

nope, that is perfect! Let's see what I can do this weekend.

Mornigstar 07-03-2013 05:12 PM

I have one like Joe showed for yrs --but think I now only have 1 blade --never used it much even though I sewed clothing

SteveH 07-15-2013 03:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Have not had the chance to do ANY sewing machine playing in days..... I had three friends show up (Friday, then Saturday, then Sunday) each with a laptop that was completely virus monkeyed.....

I will be trying to make these chisels soon.

In the mean time I just bought these....

(suspected) Victorian Adjustable Buttonhole scissors

[ATTACH=CONFIG]424139[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]424140[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]424141[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]424142[/ATTACH]