Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Before & After 1954 Singer 185J (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/before-after-1954-singer-185j-t167380.html)

Honchey 11-09-2011 10:34 PM

Before & After 1954 Singer 185J

I found this on the side of the road during bulk pick-up. The case top was cracked all over, rusted hinges, the bottom of the case fell off the machine which has rust spots, dirty, grimy....hand wheel wouldn't turn. so I only took the presser foot off and the screw...left it there, got back in my car and took off. Well, I started to hear a voice...The machine was calling me...please take me home....so I turned around and picked up the machine put it in the trunk of my car. That was 3 weeks ago. I took it out of the trunk today and cleaned it, brushed off all the rust underneath with a toothbrush soaked in sewing machine oil. I didn't want to have smelly kerosene in the house. I also found that a cottonball soaked in the oil also cleaned the outside of the machine. look how pretty she is now! Anne

Honchey 11-09-2011 10:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I forgot the photos..Here they are! Anne

Nanamoms 11-09-2011 10:47 PM

Oh my goodness, sewiing machine oil did that????

annthreecats 11-10-2011 05:05 AM

Nice job. Enjoy fixing her up. She looks wonderful.

quilt addict 11-10-2011 08:28 AM

Great job. Aren't you glad you went back. How does she sew?

jljack 11-10-2011 08:37 AM

I cannot believe that is the same machine!! Wow!! Great job, Honchey~!

haylillan 11-10-2011 08:41 AM

nice looking machine for free

miriam 11-10-2011 11:57 AM

nice little 185 - fun little machine! Sew-classic has the bobbin cover plate and bobbins!

Honchey 11-10-2011 03:04 PM

She sews quite nicely. I have to clean the bobbin casing area better. I've never removed screws in that area before so I'm a little intimidated. I feel the thread coming up from the bobbin is just a little too tight and there's still a little "junk" where the the thread goes thru the casing. I'm wondering if I could pass some unwaxed dental floss that's been soaked in some machine oil thru that area? Anyone???

Muv 11-10-2011 03:17 PM

Great job cleaning the machine.

Yes, it is possible to clean around the bobbin area. Go to my Youtube channel (see below - sorry, since the changes on this board you can't just click on it for the link) and you will find full instructions on how to clean a machine. I have done two videos, each 13 minutes long. Part 1 has had far more views than part 2 which makes me wonder why people don't watch part 2 - don't they want to see the end result?

If you unscrew the screw by the little ejector tab at the front of the bobbin case you can actually get the bobbin holder out and clean it thoroughly. If you find it awkward getting the parts out and back in, unscrew the needle plate to give easier access.

Let me know how you get on!