Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   before/after pics of 9W treadle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/before-after-pics-9w-treadle-t186195.html)

LauraJJ68 04-15-2012 04:21 PM

before/after pics of 9W treadle

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]328092[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]328093[/ATTACH]

I'm happy with how it turned out, I bought a new belt, so far that's all I've had to do. The fabric isn't feeding thru so I don't know if it has to do with the feed dogs (I did clean all the lint from underneath and around the bobbin area) or if the belt is still to loose. Once I get that problem figured out then I think I'll be good to go. I'd love to get this going so I can make a quilt for the person who gave this to me, open to any advice or help!

Laura

Charlee 04-15-2012 04:24 PM

If the needle is moving up and down when you treadle, then your problem isn't with the belt.

You've cleaned around the feed dogs, did you oil them?

You did a fantastic job cleaning this old girl up! What did you name her?

J Miller 04-15-2012 04:34 PM

Laura,

The 9W-7s hand wheel rotates away from you. The reverse of the normal Singer. If you turn it towards you it will not feed or stitch properly.

Nice machine. I've got one too, but it's not in as nice a condition as yours.

If you need a manual for it, you can get one at Relics. http://www.sewing-machine-manuals.com/

Joe

LauraJJ68 04-15-2012 04:47 PM

Charlee I did put a drop down the oil hole but maybe I should put it directly on the feed dogs? Thank you if u wouldn't of told me that it wasn't complicated to clean them myself I never would of done it so ty for saving me some money and getting a chance to learn my machine a little better.

Joe, Charlee had already told me about the direction of the hand wheel, but I am in desperate need of a manual and couldn't find one online so Thank you for the link.

SewExtremeSeams 04-16-2012 04:07 AM

Wonderful transformation of your treadle!

Muv 04-16-2012 06:18 AM

Lovely machine - well done!

If the fabric isn't feeding through it could be that there is insufficient pressure from the foot, so tighten the screw at the top at the back - do a few clockwise turns and see if it improves. This will give greater compression of the spring on the pressure bar, so when you put the lever down the foot should come down harder and give greater grip. It looks as though it has already been tightened during the cleaning process.

Whigrose 04-16-2012 06:55 AM

Lovely job with the bath! :-)

Read about the fabric not feeding through - you got some pretty good suggestions. Any chance you might need to adjust the stitch regulator? (Ask me how I know this one :-(

best,
d

greywuuf 04-16-2012 07:08 AM

knowing nothing about 9w's I notice it has a knob on the bed next to the pillar, which is the "traditional" place for a feed dog dropping knob. Also on my old singers the feed dogs are removable and adjustable, is it possible they have dropped down at some point and don't extend above the throat plate far enough?

Dan

LauraJJ68 04-16-2012 10:17 AM

Sew Extreme, thank you very much!

Muv, thank you and u r right the lever was really loose so I did tighten it.

Whigrose, thank you , I will be sending u a pm

Dan, The dogs did come up to the throat plate but I traded the fd with the parts machine because the "teeth" gripped a lot better.

Muv 04-16-2012 10:22 AM

Yes, I think the last two replies have the answer. The knob on the bed by the pillar is the stitch length regulator, it is set all the way to the left, so the stitch length is probably at nought. Have a look to see if the teeth move when you turn the wheel, then put the knob all the way to the right and see if there is a difference. Run a piece of paper through the machine with the knob at different positions so you can compare the stitch lengths.

This is like the stitch length regulator on my old Vestas and Frister and Rossmanns. On one of my machines it was so stiff it took me days of oiling it above and below to work it free.

Let us know how you get on!

I don't think it is anything to do with dropping dogs.