Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Belt Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/belt-question-t264983.html)

DresiArnaz 05-08-2015 08:49 AM

Belt Question

So I've finally got the Singer 15 Sphinx Reproduction tamed

I'm very happy with it. It's piecing very nicely.

Yaaay!

The belt is making noise and no matter what I do to adjust it I can't get rid of this noise without it being too loose

The belt is one of those pink plastic ones with the little teeth?

I was wondering if I might be better off getting some kind of v-belt?

J Miller 05-08-2015 09:02 AM

Dresi,

I have found the plastic cogged belts rarely provide the performance the old black V-belts do. On my machines they seem to slip more than they should and I've had to run them tighter than they should be just to keep them from slipping.
The only time I run one of these belts is if i cannot find a black V-belt.

Joe

DresiArnaz 05-08-2015 09:50 AM

Well I just got back from the dealer. He didn't give me a v-belt-but he gave me something that looks like a giant o-ring. I didn't have to pay for it though

It's a little quieter now but the noise is still there

Maybe I have to try and adjust it again

DresiArnaz 05-08-2015 11:10 AM

I think the belt was too tight

It's going okay now

Thank you

Rodney 05-08-2015 12:19 PM

Glad you got it working. Sew-Classic sells v belts for most machines. I know others here prefer them. I have the rubber band belt like yours on my Rodney 15 clone. I'm getting ready to switch to a regular v belt.
Rodney

Mrs. SewNSew 05-08-2015 02:21 PM

I was originally buying those orange ones. I think I read somewhere they were better. I find they slip on my machines and I much prefer the black v-belts.

DresiArnaz 05-08-2015 03:01 PM

It's a lot quieter now but there's still a little tick tick tick as it's turning

It goes completely away if no belt is on there. I wonder if something is off because I had to tighten the pink belt so much. It was slipping.

The o ring belt is much quieter though because I can run it pretty loose with no slippage

Don't know what to do to get rid of ticking noise. It's much better than it was but it's still there!

path49 05-08-2015 07:30 PM

Make sure that the set screw in the motor pulley is tight. If there's even the tiniest bit of play there, it will make a ticking noise....& if the belt isn't on the pulley, it won't make any noise.

DresiArnaz 05-08-2015 09:25 PM

Path49:

What you are saying makes perfect sense to me!

But it doesn't look like it has a set screw. The only place where a set screw might go... there is a hole that doesn't go all the way through- there is something sticking out just a bit that has threads on the outside?

I am thoroughly confused!

DresiArnaz 05-08-2015 09:45 PM

Wait-is it one of those deals that you tighten with an allen wrench?