Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Bernina 1030 - holding my breath! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/bernina-1030-holding-my-breath-t252691.html)

quiltedsunshine 08-31-2014 01:51 PM

I used to own a Bernina 1030, and wish I could have kept it, but needed it for trade-in value on my newer Bernina. It is a great machine! And it's completely mechanical. I traded up so I could have the blanket stitch for applique, which the 1030 doesn't have. My 1030 came with 10 presser feet and a nice snap-on accessory box, but not a walking foot. And it did have the knee lift. It also has the foot pedal with the half-stitch (needle up or down), when you push down on the heel end--which I really miss. The only thing that we've had problems with on the 1030's is the light switch. When they come through the shop, we routinely by-pass the light switch so the light is on when the machine is turned on. We've sold a couple used 1030's through the shop for about $450.

A walking foot is awesome! but very expensive. $160 brand new!!! You might find a used one on ebay, but it needs to be the "old style." with the forked top. I use my walking foot for sewing on minky, flannel, machine quilting, binding, vinyls, etc. Once you've used a walking foot, you don't know how you lived without one.

KenmoreRulesAll 08-31-2014 02:12 PM

Any time someone buys a machine that they're excited about, I have to chime in and congratulate them, especially a carefully made purchase that involves time, travel, and no small change. So bully for you and your new machine!

I came close to buying an 1130 about a year ago but I decided I was too attracted to the brand, not attracted enough to the machine itself. Perhaps a different model will sway me one day.

Congratulations!

Rodney 08-31-2014 02:26 PM

Cute dress! Congrats on your new machine. I'm happy everything worked out well for you.
Rodney

IrishgalfromNJ 09-09-2014 10:46 AM

Cool machine. I have a Bernina 1530 which I love (given to me by a non-sewer who inherited it). I never heard of a 1020 but it looks like a great little machine. Enjoy.

Sharonymarie 01-09-2022 10:48 PM

Original owner

I still use my 1030. It came with a knee control thingy. And I think 10 pressure feet in a clip on storage case.

Sharonymarie 01-09-2022 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Champanier (Post 6868122)
Thanks to everyone for the advice!

I read everything I could find online and saved pictures of the 1030 with all the feet, accessories, etc., in preparation. We drove up to Albany (equipped with fabric and thread) and the owner already had the machine set up for a test run. Since I'd never seen a Bernina, it took me a while to figure out how to try everything, and we ended up staying for about three hours! I tried many, but not all, of the stitches, and made sure the buttonhole function worked.

I didn't catch on immediately, but when I actually read the front, it turned out to be a 1020, not a 1030. It doesn't have the knee lift, but I found a table extension (missing a screw and with a broken off corner section) in the closet. Also missing: the darning ring/arm, cleaning brush, extra needles, and screwdriver. It has feet: 0, 1, 2, 3, 3b, 4, 5, and 9. It has a manual - yay! The cover is canvas.

The owner was gracious in offering a price reduction, so we ended up with a price I think was fair.

I don't think I'd be happy if I bought a sewing machine that didn't need some work! When I was testing it, it was pretty loud with a pronounced squeak. So, I came home and took off the stich plate and opened the bobbin area. It was packed full of lint. When I tried to open the the oil, I discovered that the top had never been punctured! I hope that she was just using a different oil and not that the poor machine has gone for years without any. As soon as I finished cleaning and oiling, everything was quiet and smooth.

I'd been working on a dress for my granddaughter, and just had to do the buttonholes and hem. It's amazing to sew on this. The buttonhole function works well, and the foot for hems keeps everything lined up perfectly. I've never had anything like this! I decided I'm happy about the model and can call her KDKA for the radio station in Pittsburgh, where I grew up, which is at 1020 AM.

So, here's a picture of the new baby.

i lost my manual for 1030. Can you tell me what the numbered feet are for? Each one? Thank you so much.

OurWorkbench 01-10-2022 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sharonymarie (Post 8530069)
i lost my manual for 1030. Can you tell me what the numbered feet are for? Each one? Thank you so much.

It looks like they are listed on page 10 of the manual found at https://manualzz.com/doc/22316513/be...-user-s-manual There is a Bernina Accessories At-A-Glance Reference Manual at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/53...cessories.html that lists the machines and the feet numbers on page 2 and shows them later.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)