Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Bernina 640-2 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/bernina-640-2-a-t210631.html)

jayjung 07-28-2013 01:41 AM

I also have one from my grandmother which I finally tried today. Because it sits in a table it is at a better height than my other machines which sit on top of the table. Everything seems to be working but I can't seem to get a row of stitches. Can you confirm that bobbin thread is anti-clockwise? How can I get stitch regulator and stitch length right? I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent but I can't get this right. It has sat for 13 years without a service so perhaps it needs one. For Vanginney there is currently one on ebay (probably Australia).

frudemoo 07-28-2013 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by jayjung (Post 6200072)
I also have one from my grandmother which I finally tried today. Because it sits in a table it is at a better height than my other machines which sit on top of the table. Everything seems to be working but I can't seem to get a row of stitches. Can you confirm that bobbin thread is anti-clockwise? How can I get stitch regulator and stitch length right? I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent but I can't get this right. It has sat for 13 years without a service so perhaps it needs one. For Vanginney there is currently one on ebay (probably Australia).

Happy to compare notes/pics where helpful... Or would you like a copy of the manual?

jayjung 07-28-2013 12:33 PM

Thanks for the offer but I have the manual. I also have paperwork from shop in Brisbane where my grandmother purchased it. All my other machines have bobbin thread clockwise but the manual looks like anticlockwise thread. My main problem is that I can't get the stitch regulator to say put. I will have another go today and I will make arrangements to get it serviced today.

DanofNJ 07-28-2013 04:57 PM

I love it, I love it, I love it, I love Berninas.

frudemoo 07-28-2013 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by jayjung (Post 6201309)
All my other machines have bobbin thread clockwise but the manual looks like anticlockwise thread.

That's right, Bernina's are backwards (well the ones that I've used are, anyway).

It's well worth getting it serviced. Of all my machines so far, it sews the most beautifully. Such a pleasure to use :)

Akweiland 07-28-2013 10:09 PM

What a find! Enjoy.

jayjung 08-20-2013 01:57 PM

Just thought that I would let you know that machine is in intensive care. It wasn't me - there is a part jammed. I'm looking forward to it being returned.

mlmack 08-20-2013 02:57 PM

Cool machine!

Lily Leticia 12-21-2014 09:16 AM

Oh my, I would love a copy of manual! I recently became the new owner of 2 Berninas. Bernina number 1 is a 530-1 record beige in color with serial number 5934318... Bernina number 2 is a 640-2 favorit avocado color with a serial number 54002003. i was only given the manual to the 530-1 record...I am unable to order a manual for this 640-2 due to the rarity.

Rodney 12-21-2014 09:23 AM

Welcome aboard Lily, it's an older thread but I hope the right person sees it and can help you out.
Rodney