Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Bernina 740 Favorit treadle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/bernina-740-favorit-treadle-t292939.html)

Kathryn75 11-29-2017 08:49 AM

Bernina 740 Favorit treadle

2 Attachment(s)
Hi - I'm new to the forum. I've just acquired an old Bernina 740 Favorit (via CL from a storage unit gleaner) that is intended for either treadle or motor and read your related older thread about treadle Berninas with interest. I thought I'd post some pictures and would appreciate your thoughts as I consider whether to convert it to treadle or not. I've not treadled before, but thought it might give me more control over speed.

I believe some of these were made for sewers in Amish communities and the like. It has a cracked vertical shaft gear that I'll need to repair before I use it, and the cabinet needs some TLC - but at $40 it seemed a steal. The hole where a knee lift would go is sealed and I'm hoping it is controlled with the foot pedal.

Mickey2 11-29-2017 09:54 AM

A genuine Bernina cabinet is hard to find, and if I should ever require one I would have to jump at first chance. They turn up now and then, but even rarer in my area. I didn't know this until a couple of years ago, but Bernina made treadles up until around 1960, when exactly production stopped I'm not sure.

The hand wheel on them is different, other wise the same. The ones I have seen have often had an external belt driven motor in the back, for easy coversion to treadle. I'm in Norway, and I have noticed they are more common in Germany and Austria (more people there). I don't think the production was particularly aimed at Amish in general, but I guess they might have been intersted in them.

It's a bit odd it's often the 540 and 740 that's in treadle cabinets, they are built for more speed and power than the others. Treadle is not where this kind of speed enters the picture. People still had experience, very good technique and new the advatage of a treadle back then. I guess that's why these combo cabinets excist and are still appreciated.

If it was me, I would not hesitate to get a leather belt and try it out. The motor belt should come off easily and come back on just as easy.

miriam 11-29-2017 03:15 PM

Gears are not quality in the one I got rid of for parts.

Mickey2 11-29-2017 03:51 PM

I think the 740 is all metal under the base, the only gear I have seen cracked is these models is the white plastic gear turning the cam stack. They often last 40 years before there's anything wrong with them, and are well worth the time and effort it takes to replace them. I have a 730 which generally is the same machine above the base. The bobbin case, race, hook and turning parts under the base are much more solid on a 740 and different. It is a rotary hook design.

The 730 has one or two plastic gears in the freearm, but it doesn't apply to the 740. Even these tend to last a long time, but like any other part they can get damaged. I have seen quite a few old Berninas the last years and they are mostly runnig fine, even the ones with very worn finish. My 730 is my most trouble free and well behaved zigzagger. The motor on the 740 has at least double the specs than the freearm versions.

Another thing I have noticed with the 740 is it's often greased way too much. I don't think Bernina recommended anything but oil on any of the gears and turning parts on it.

Kathryn75 11-29-2017 06:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Mickey2 (Post 7953055)
I think the 740 is all metal under the base, the only gear I have seen cracked is these models is the white plastic gear turning the cam stack. ...

A woman named Ashley has done some excellent reviews of vintage machines, including the 740 Favorit. http://www.ashleyandthenoisemakers.c...favorit-review and she says there are 4 in addition to the cam stack gear though I've only been able to see 3. I'm posting a picture of the cracked gear (black nylon, under the big horizontal drive shaft), which I believe is called the vertical shaft gear. I plan to drop it at Hinkletown Sewing Center in PA next week for repairs - they specialize in Bernina machines of all ages. I'll pick up a treadle belt too - I think you may be right that I can switch back and forth. It does seem odd that such a fast machine is equipped for treadle. I'm happy that I may be able to gain control via treadle until I learn how to sew faster!

Another question: it came with a good many feet plus a mystery item, some kind of sliding measure. I'm posting a picture of that too and would love to know if any of you recognize it.

Thanks for your comments!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584531[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]584532[/ATTACH]

quiltedsunshine 11-29-2017 07:05 PM

The vertical shaft gear can be replaced. The retail on that gear is $71.90, part #316.002.03 from Brewer Sewing Supply.

It's a great machine!

QuiltMom2 11-30-2017 03:40 AM

I think your mystery attachment might be part of a circle sewing attachment. Missing the slide to set the diameter. I could be wrong!!!

Mickey2 11-30-2017 04:21 AM

I thought that was a metal gear on my 730, and not the one that's most often cracked on the machines I have had my hands on. I have double and tripple checked this on my 730 because it has been such an issue regarding info on this machine. The plastic gears on my machine have turned to white after a period of cleaning and oiling. I know Bernina had slightly different varians on their 730, some has a plastic gear more than others. I wonder if there is a metal replacement part for the cracked gear on your machine? Except for the industrial models, I think the 740 and 840 was the most expensive of them all.

leonf 11-30-2017 07:37 AM

Will you be able to find the foot treadle and pittman arm to power the drive wheel?

Cari-in-Oly 11-30-2017 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by leonf (Post 7953498)
Will you be able to find the foot treadle and pittman arm to power the drive wheel?

Leon it's there. The bottom of the cabinet is the pedal, the arm is attached to it. I have a similar treadle cabinet.

Cari