Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Best oil and lube to use (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/best-oil-lube-use-t312656.html)

cfuzzy 09-30-2020 09:57 AM

Best oil and lube to use

Last month we lost our home to the CZU fire and with it two pristine FWs, a Spartan 3/4 in excellent condition, a black long bed 301 and a 15-91 also very clean and nice. The FWs melted. : ( Needless to say, losing those sweet old machines remains difficult for me and I hope to have find one or two in the future.

Was using clock oil on those machines (oil destroyed) and need to purchase an oil for the one machine I was able to grab my Elna Air Electronic. And I'll also be wanting oil that will work well on a future vintage machine. So is clock oil really ok? There were comments by others who used it on their machines and I loved the long, metal rod out of the dispenser that allowedjust one drop to slide down and into where you exactly want the oil to go. It worked wonderfully on the FWs when tipped up to oil underneath.

Also, where's the best place to purchase the oil and other maintenance products? Starting all over again after 40+ years in our home. Thanks for your help.

leaha 09-30-2020 10:34 AM

I am so sorry to hear you lost your home AND all those machines, I don't know what I would do if I lost every thing, for me I think it would be too late to start over, I am in my later 70's so I would only replace what I knew I would use. Over the years I have collected several things, like Russian tea sets, sun purple glass wear, thimbles, antique oak furniture, sewing machines, fabric, and notions up the yean yang, DVD's CD's and LP's and lots of odds and ends. Where would one even start? I pray your road ahead is safe and you can replace all that you want to, I wish all the best for you, hugs L

juliasb 09-30-2020 11:48 AM

Such a loss in unimaginable. I am so sorry for your loss. I have always stayed with singer products both oil and lube. The FW shop is were I go for these goods. I know that things will never be the same. Most important is your life for that I am grateful.

Mickey2 09-30-2020 01:00 PM

Clock oil is generally a bit too thin and light, but I guess works. Sewing machine parts are much more sturdy and see different wear and use and can benefit from slightly heavier oil. It last longer and you can find something like Triflow, a pure basic sewing machine oil. I personally have found a favorite in Finsh Line Ceramic Wet lube (bottle with gold cap), it makes my 99 and 201 run extra smooth. That said, I have not used clock oil on my machines, I have had those pens with watch lubricant, and it can be nice but often a bit too dry to be ideal for (relatively) heavier machinery like sewing machines.

Loosing everything to a fire is the worst thing. I wish you best of luck and hope you get to pick your self up and track down replacements for the things you lost. An Elna Electronic Air has all the stiches, but the loss of two Featherweighs is sad. They look so nice, especially the ones with swirly pattern on the face plate. Hard to choose either way.

bkay 10-01-2020 04:13 AM

It's my understanding that Tri-flow contains Teflon.

I often use gun oil for the same reason you use clock oil, I like the container/dispenser. It's easy to get it where you want it and it doesn't flood everything (those 4 oz. bottles of sewing machine oil with the little spout seem to make a big mess). However, once the container is empty, I refill it with sewing machine oil.

I have a friend who is into repairing/rebuilding old typewriters. He uses sewing machine oil because it is so clean. He buys it by the gallon. He says sewing machine oil is sewing machine oil.

I'm not saying any of this is right, it's what I do.

bkay

Fabric Galore 10-01-2020 08:31 AM

I am so sorry about your losses. I can't imagine losing everything. My husband and I are 82 years old and we have so many items we have collected through our years of travel plus all of the wonderful family pictures. For years I used 3-in-one oil on my mechanical sewing machines but now I use sewing machine oil on my electronic machines. I think the main thing is to keep the machines cleaned and lubricated. May you be able to find everything you really want.

Mickey2 10-01-2020 08:56 AM

I somehow ended up describing Triflow as a pure sewing machine oil, I meant to write, "you could get something like Triflowr, or a pure sewing machine oil", In other words, two good alternatives. Sorry about that. Triflow has a few additives that work well with vintage machines. Not all oils do.

Bkay, a thing I recently discovered about old type writers, is most of them were meant to run on nothings, at least the joints and arms that hit the paper. They should ideally be totally clean, maybe some parts used lubricant.

sewingpup 10-01-2020 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by cfuzzy (Post 8421574)
Last month we lost our home to the CZU fire and with it two pristine FWs, a Spartan 3/4 in excellent condition, a black long bed 301 and a 15-91 also very clean and nice. The FWs melted. : ( Needless to say, losing those sweet old machines remains difficult for me and I hope to have find one or two in the future.

Was using clock oil on those machines (oil destroyed) and need to purchase an oil for the one machine I was able to grab my Elna Air Electronic. And I'll also be wanting oil that will work well on a future vintage machine. So is clock oil really ok? There were comments by others who used it on their machines and I loved the long, metal rod out of the dispenser that allowedjust one drop to slide down and into where you exactly want the oil to go. It worked wonderfully on the FWs when tipped up to oil underneath.

Also, where's the best place to purchase the oil and other maintenance products? Starting all over again after 40+ years in our home. Thanks for your help.

I have been warned by various sewing machine dealers to use the particular sewing machine oil recommended by the maker of your machine. Many oils will gum up your machine .eventually. So I have been using "sewing machine oil" or "bernina oil" in my machines.

leonf 10-01-2020 10:35 AM

I buy Lily White sewing machine oil by the gallos on use long exteneded neck bottles once full of "Zoom easy." A few weeks ago I tackled a couple of typewriters that would barely move with SM oil. Got them both working fine. No idea how long that is a good idea, but they work today.

leonf 10-01-2020 10:37 AM

When my grandad's house burned I went looking for the anniversary clock that had been above the fireplace. It was a little ball of brass. Sorry for your many losses.