Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Birth of a Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/birth-sewing-machine-t261576.html)

Vridar 02-21-2015 08:05 AM

Birth of a Sewing Machine

Probably most have seen this movie, Birth of a Sewing Machine, on a Scottish website, but, it's worth reposting for those who haven't. It was filmed in 1934 and is quite lengthy but very informative. Makes one appreciate what went into these beautiful black machines. Also, one can appreciate what the manufacture of these machines did for economies.

manicmike 02-21-2015 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar (Post 7099557)
Probably most have seen this movie, Birth of a Sewing Machine,

Yes it was shared by CD a couple of years ago.

ube quilting 02-21-2015 05:10 PM

first time for me and now I love my old Singer even more.n Thanks for sharing. I never would have found this on my own.
peace

sdhaevrsi 02-21-2015 06:19 PM

I keep trying to watch it, but can't. A square taking about Flash or adobe keeps coming up...

manicmike 02-21-2015 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by sdhaevrsi (Post 7100294)
I keep trying to watch it, but can't. A square taking about Flash or adobe keeps coming up...

Did you read it? It probably says your Adobe Flash plugin has known security problems and is outdated/is being blocked, etc. It should also tell you how to fix it (with an update).

Vridar 02-22-2015 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by sdhaevrsi (Post 7100294)

I believe Apple and Abobe have a Flash controversy. My iPad wouldn't show it, but my MacBook did.

maviskw 02-22-2015 08:07 AM

I watched it in 2013. This morning I was awake at 4:30 and couldn't sleep, so I watched it again. I saw a lot of things that I didn't remember from the first time. I have it bookmarked now, so I won't lose it again.

A very enlightening film. I tried to buy it. It costs 15 pounds plus 4.5 pounds postage, but I needed to fill out a form and couldn't find the form. If it will be used commercially, there is a license fee, but not for personal or educational use. I'll try again to find that form.

ArchaicArcane 02-22-2015 03:04 PM

Maviskw - They will send you the form via email. I bought the video a few years ago, back when they hadn't yet converted it to the North American video format and wanted tons of money for it. I waited a couple of weeks and then they sent me an email saying it had been converted and that the price was lower. That's when I signed the form and paid them.

ArchaicArcane 02-22-2015 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar (Post 7100749)
I believe Apple and Abobe have a Flash controversy. My iPad wouldn't show it, but my MacBook did.

They do and unfortunately the customer gets caught in the middle because they can't get along. :(

maviskw 02-22-2015 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 7101342)
Maviskw - They will send you the form via email. I bought the video a few years ago, back when they hadn't yet converted it to the North American video format and wanted tons of money for it. I waited a couple of weeks and then they sent me an email saying it had been converted and that the price was lower. That's when I signed the form and paid them.

Thanks, Tammi. I'll wait for it.