Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Bought my 1st Featherweight,... long awaited!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/bought-my-1st-featherweight-long-awaited-t262176.html)

Divokittysmom 03-05-2015 12:05 PM

Bought my 1st Featherweight,... long awaited!!

I purchased my first Singer Featherweight and I am ECSTATIC!! :thumbup: I have been ogling them for 5 years!! I finally took the plunge on a real beauty, 1937 in gorgeous condition, runs beautifully. I am so excited I can hardly stand it! :D

Now to the less than happy part... I purchased it on eBay from a seller with a 100% seller rating and zero negative reviews who has sold for 15 years on eBay. :thumbup: I had to prompt this seller to ship the machine out at the end of the 2nd day after purchase... response was we'll mail it out tomorrow. Then nothing from the seller saying it had been shipped, however tracking # shows it's still in the same Post Office he mailed it out of for 3 days now. I called the P.O. and confirmed it is indeed still sitting there. I have contacted the seller this morning to ask if there would be any reason for it to be sitting there and why he insured it for less than what I paid. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:
Has anyone run onto this before on eBay?? Is it routine to insure things for much less than buyer paid? The shipping chosen says it's the worst way to ship things, lots of bumping around...I am praying by the time I get my beloved FW it will be in one piece!! I am sure you all think I am being paranoid, however, I have never purchased anything like this $$$ before and am nervous that I made a huge mistake!!
Thank you all for letting me rant a bit. I am only hoping and praying that my FW .#1 actually arrives and #2, is in one piece and the excellent condition claimed!!
Signed one very paranoid and anxious FW mom to be :rolleyes:

Tartan 03-05-2015 12:12 PM

​Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Divokittysmom 03-05-2015 12:14 PM

Thank you Tartan!

Jeanette Frantz 03-05-2015 12:26 PM

If the machine is damaged in transit, you will have to file a claim with e-bay. You SHOULD NOT lose any money. He's assuming responsibility for it's safe arrival -- at least I would think so. If the machine has not been shipped -- well if the seller has paid the shipping he's obligated to pay, then the question is why has the post office not sent the machine on its way? I can't answer that, but I would contact e-bay if the machine has not left the post office within the next day or two. I haven't made a major purchase through e-bay, but have not had a problem with the items I have purchased. No, we do not think you are paranoid. If you are, then so am I. I would be very leary about shipping a sewing machine. Let's just hope and pray that your machine arrives safely. Sometimes, it takes a couple of days for the money-thing to clear --I honestly have no experience with a sewing machine. The only one I've bought off e-bay was about 60-70 miles from where we live, and we drove to pick it up. These old durable ladies are cast iron and do not respond well to being dropped -- and in this instance I could drive there cheaper that I could have had it shipped.

Please let us know when your machine arrives, and if it is in good condition when it gets there.

Jeanette

Divokittysmom 03-05-2015 01:04 PM

Thank you Jeanette for your words of wisdom!!

SewExtremeSeams 03-05-2015 02:57 PM

Once you get your machine and if it is in the condition you expected, be sure to leave negative feedback concerning their communications with you and the insurance situation. That is what it is for to warn others who may be considering purchasing from this seller.

Not sure if Paypal was an option but when I purchase from eBay I always pay through Paypal. They become a third party and will go to bat for you if need be. Hope it turns out to be safe shipped when it arrives.

Jackie Spencer 03-05-2015 03:49 PM

I bought a milk glass cookie jar on e-bay once, the seller wrapped it in a couple of paper towels when he mailed it. Guess what I got??

Divokittysmom 03-05-2015 04:48 PM

I just received news that the package has been picked up from the post office! Still do NOT understand why it took 4 days.

Monroe 03-05-2015 05:22 PM

I'ver had a few instances where a package sat at the PO for 2 - 3 days before actually heading on it's way, including a laptop charger I desperately needed. Don't forget to breathe while you wait.

Divokittysmom 03-05-2015 08:52 PM

Breathing now that I know it's at least in transit. Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

Seller contacted me after he checked into why it hadn't been shipped. I think it was just one of those little quirks that happen once in awhile. Miss FW should arrive end of next week sometime.

Hopefully my next posting will be a photo of my new baby! I can't believe how attached I am to this little beauty already!
Thank you for letting me pour out my fears! lol