Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Bronze Embossed White? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/bronze-embossed-white-t252330.html)

Rodney 08-22-2014 03:40 PM

Bronze Embossed White?

1 Attachment(s)
Is this the Bronze version I've heard about? More of a bronzed finish than a true bronze by the look of it.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/atq/4632343400.html
Rodney

Edit to add picture:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]488694[/ATTACH]

JudyTheSewer 08-22-2014 04:26 PM

I did a Google search using key words "White Sewing Machine Bronze Embossed" and several came up that look like that.

Rodney 08-22-2014 05:26 PM

Looking at some of the other pics it could just be really dirty too.
Rodney

Nammie to 7 08-22-2014 05:28 PM

What a beautiful machine -- I know nothing about antique machines but after reading all of your posts I'm getting the bug!

JudyTheSewer 08-22-2014 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6855993)
Looking at some of the other pics it could just be really dirty too.
Rodney

Yeah, it is kind of tough to say. But it sure looks shinier than I think my black crinkle embossed White would look in photos. Are you thinking of going to take a look at it?

Rodney 08-22-2014 06:37 PM

No. I'm pretty much tapped financially and the price is more than I'm willing to pay anyway. The other machine in the ad is certainly over priced, but if this is the bronze version it might be worth it though I doubt the seller has any sort of clue about what they're selling.
Rodney

Jeanette Frantz 08-22-2014 07:16 PM

Rodney,

I know what you mean! If you look through the listings on e-bay, you would be amazed! Very few people who list sewing machines know what in the world they're talking about. I certainly am not brilliant when it comes to sewing machine attachments, needles, etc., but HOW do you know what the sellers are trying to sell, especially when the seller doesn't even know?? I think I'd rather shop in person than risk buying stuff from someone I don't know from Adams's house cat!

Jeanette

Monroe 08-22-2014 11:30 PM

I can't tell if it's rust or really the bronze. When I was first bitten by the sewing machine bug I turned down a Bronze that was free, thinking I didn't have room! I've crammed many more machines in here since, and regretted not taking that beauty home with me. It was filthy, but knowing how to spiff it up (thanks to folks here) it would have been gorgeous.

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6855869)
Is this the Bronze version I've heard about? More of a bronzed finish than a true bronze by the look of it.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/atq/4632343400.html
Rodney

Edit to add picture:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]488694[/ATTACH]

oldsewnsew 08-23-2014 06:58 AM

the only way to know for sure probably is to go look at it. For $100, if it was indeed the bronze machine, I'd buy it.

Rodney 08-23-2014 07:01 AM

Monroe we all make that sort of mistake. I had what seemed like good reasons at the time but so far I passed up what I'm sure was a Bernina 830 Record (complete with red case) for $16 at Goodwill and a black Singer 301 for $50 at another thrift store.
Jeanette I know what you mean about a lot of Ebay sellers. A lot of their ads could be worded like "I don't know what it is but I think I can get this much for it." Craig's List ads read like this: "I don't know what it is but I saw one on Ebay for $700."
We educate ourselves by doing things like read this forum and though I don't belong to any there are also Yahoo groups for old sewing machines. There's also ISMACS and probably a bunch others I don't know as well. We also watch the auction sites and sites like Craig's List or Kijiji often so we at least get an idea of asking prices. They're not the same as actual selling prices but after a while you at least develop a feel for what's crack-headed or not. Every now and then there is a knowledgeable seller out there too but for the most part people need to do their own research and come to their own conclusions. Too many variables to just name prices. For example I've been watch Craigslist locally for most of a year now and there are still some machines on there that were there when I started watching. One is a $10 Kenmore maybe 30 miles from me that doesn't look much worse than a lot of other machines out there. It's a plain jane white one from sometime in the 70s. I haven't wanted to drive that far to get it. It's not just overpriced ones that don't sell. I found out I just won a local auction for a beat up old Singer 66 in a cloth covered case. I put in an absentee bid of $5-the minimum amount. On the other hand I've seen people on the goodwill site pay some prices that seemed absolutely ridiculous to me too. Especially when you throw in the cost and risk of shipping on top.
Apparently I'm talkative this morning.
Rodney