Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Bruce Treadle Machine First Bunch of Pics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/bruce-treadle-machine-first-bunch-pics-t220421.html)

newbiequilter58 04-30-2013 09:18 PM

Bruce Treadle Machine First Bunch of Pics

10 Attachment(s)
Here are pics of the Bruce Treadle Machine at my mom's house. She purchased it in the early 70's mainly to redo the cabinet. The machine had the warranty signed May 1915, the manual, some bobbins, and a several attachments. No doubt it needs rewired, so I haven't plugged it in to see if the motor works. Just moving the handwheel it moves freely, but haven't tried winding a bobbin and sewing to see if it makes a stitch. Some of the decals are stating to wrinkle. When I was opening the cabinet to take the pictures, my 19 yr old DD wanted to know how I was going to get the machine out because "it looks like it weighs a ton". I laughed and told her to watch. As I opened the lid and the machine came up, she yelled "that is so cool!" She was amazed that opening or closing the lid moved the machine. I've read the tutorials posted on cleaning vintage machines, and will bring this one to my house to work on before long. I hope that no parts are needed, as I can't find anything about these machines online.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]411077[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]411078[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]411081[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]411082[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]411084[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]411085[/ATTACH]

newbiequilter58 04-30-2013 09:32 PM

Bruce Treadle Pics Part 2

9 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]411088[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]411089[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]411090[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]411091[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]411092[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]411093[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]411086[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]411094[/ATTACH]

Caroline S 05-01-2013 06:44 AM

That looks as if it would be a great refurbish project. If the treadling parts are intact I would remove the motor and return her to her former glory as a treade.

SteveH 05-01-2013 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 6037684)
That looks as if it would be a great refurbish project. If the treadling parts are intact I would remove the motor and return her to her former glory as a treade.

x2 love it

Caroline S 05-01-2013 11:06 AM

From what I can see of the treadle irons, they look Davis to me. Perhaps your machine is a badged machine produce by Davis.

Mizkaki 05-01-2013 11:21 AM

According the Needlebar's Needle Book "The Bruce" was made by The Free Sewing Machine Co. It should take a standard 15x1 needle.

Cathy

pocoellie 05-01-2013 12:00 PM

It will be a beauty restored and I have to agree with Caroline S, I would restore it to being strictly a treadle, but whatever works for you, is what you should do.

DogHouseMom 05-01-2013 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie (Post 6038266)
It will be a beauty restored and I have to agree with Caroline S, I would restore it to being strictly a treadle, but whatever works for you, is what you should do.

Ditto that. Pretty machine, very pretty cabinet.

TacoMama 05-02-2013 04:14 AM

I, too, agree with Carolyn! Love the machine!

newbiequilter58 05-02-2013 05:29 PM

Thank you everyone for looking at him... her?? I can't wait to get started! Good thing I can back the truck up to both front porches to load and unload. :eek:The more I think about it, the more I like the suggestions of returning it to a treadle machine. I think there is a rod or a belt missing from the treadle to the wheel; possibly it was removed when the motor was put on and they ran the wiring through hole? I'll have to look at the manual and see how all that connects. In looking at some of the sites recommended by this group, Davis and Free machines are mentioned or shown, so I have my fingers crossed on finding any spare parts that may be needed. Thank you for identifying the needle for me. The manual has a 'full size' drawing of the recommended needle with the admonition to buy only needles that match the drawing.... something not in the book for my computerized Brother. Off to print the tuts for cleaning the machines and the cabinet, then order some Tri-Flow.