Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Cabinet and stool weekend find (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/cabinet-stool-weekend-find-t253220.html)

J Miller 09-07-2014 05:11 PM

Cabinet and stool weekend find

5 Attachment(s)
We have been looking for a specific type of sewing machine cabinet for one of our better machines that has many attachments and accessories. Today on CL we found one. And the price was right.

Here are some pics of the cabinet:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490719[/ATTACH]
Tuxedo Kitty (T.K.) says: "You put this here just for me ...
right?"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]490718[/ATTACH]
It's not as big as the sellers pics made it look, but it's big enough
to do what we need it to do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]490720[/ATTACH]
Both leafs open and it has four drawers for our goodies.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]490721[/ATTACH]
The machine platform sits level as shown in the pic above for use with a free arm,
or down about 3" for a full bed machine as shown above. It will also pivot down
to close up the cabinet if the machine on it has provisions for a mounting bolt on the
bottom. We do have a couple like that, but as of yet we haven't decided which
machine we're gonna put on it. My wife is thinking that her Bernina Record 930
would look just right on this cabinet.

Here's the stool we acquired.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490724[/ATTACH]
As best as I can tell from the pics on ISMACS
It's the stool for the Singer #56 cabinet.
So although we don't have one of those at this time,
We can use the stool for our 201.

Not too shabby a haul today. :D

Joe

Rodney 09-07-2014 05:53 PM

I was thinking that was a Singer stool. I'd have to look but I think it's like one that I have, mine is covered in yellow paint though. Nice looking desk. I like the storage and the extra work area on the right. I'm holding out for a Singer cabinet 42. I just watched one go by in Portland for $60. Timing is everything.
Rodney

J Miller 09-07-2014 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We've got a Singer cabinet, that might be a #42, I'm not sure.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490730[/ATTACH]
The only thing is some fool painted it with white latex paint.
Although it is in good condition, we can't bring ourselves to use it until we refinish it.

Joe

Rodney 09-07-2014 06:33 PM

I hear you. Get rid of that icky white paint. Fortunately latex strips fairly easily. I still hate stripping paint though. Do you know if it's the walnut or the blond oak underneath the paint?
Rodney

J Miller 09-07-2014 06:44 PM

We think it is the blond oak.

Joe

csharp 09-07-2014 06:59 PM

Very nice cabinet, Joe...looks like it would hold lots of goodies

DonnaMiller 09-07-2014 07:16 PM

Sewing Cabinet

I have one just like it. Yours is probably in better shape veneer wise. Mine had some delamination of the back panel. It s likely mahogany veneer. It was also made in other veneers. It will refinish nicely. I used mahogany stain and brush on lacquer from Home Depot. It came out very pretty. Good luck on your great find.
Donna]

J Miller 09-07-2014 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6879064)
I hear you. Get rid of that icky white paint. Fortunately latex strips fairly easily. I still hate stripping paint though. Do you know if it's the walnut or the blond oak underneath the paint?
Rodney

Rodney,

What do you use to strip latex paint?

Joe

J Miller 09-07-2014 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller (Post 6879109)
I have one just like it. Yours is probably in better shape veneer wise. Mine had some delamination of the back panel. It s likely mahogany veneer. It was also made in other veneers. It will refinish nicely. I used mahogany stain and brush on lacquer from Home Depot. It came out very pretty. Good luck on your great find.
Donna]

Donna,
If you mean the white one, it's got some veneer defects I'll take care of as soon as we can get that icky latex paint off of it. Then I'll strip down to the wood and redo it.

I'll probably use stain and then shellac on it, but that's not chisled in stone.

Joe

liking quilting 09-08-2014 02:52 AM

Drooling over the cabinet and stool!