Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Can I change knee pedal to foot pedal?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/can-i-change-knee-pedal-foot-pedal-t244609.html)

joobee 04-05-2014 07:30 PM

Can I change knee pedal to foot pedal??

I have acquired a Singer 66. It is in a cabinet and has a knee operating paddle. I need to replace the electric cords, can I adapt it to a foot pedal instead of knee?

manicmike 04-05-2014 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by joobee (Post 6661915)
I have acquired a Singer 66. It is in a cabinet and has a knee operating paddle. I need to replace the electric cords, can I adapt it to a foot pedal instead of knee?

Yes and it couldn't be easier. Replace the electrical cord to your machine with one that has a foot controller and start stitching.

DOTTYMO 04-06-2014 12:48 AM

Pity not in UK I saw a beautiful machine with an electric knee lift yesterday all in its own case.

Macybaby 04-06-2014 03:15 AM

I'd recommend switching it to use the two wire plug while you are at it. Very simple to do, especially if your "knee" control is the same as the foot control. Otherwise you'll need to get the foot control along with the cord/plug

Rodney 04-06-2014 06:57 AM

Look at your knee control first. My Singer 66 has a "button style" foot control box mounted in the cabinet that the knee controller pushes against. I've also seen knee controls that were a foot control with a folding lever attached to them.
I'm the opposite. I prefer a knee control. It's what I have on my Singer 66. My Rodney machine has a foot controller and it moves around everywhere, even on carpet. I'm seriously thinking about switching to a knee control on it.
Rodney

J Miller 04-06-2014 07:19 AM

All of my Singer cabinet machines that were still original had the button type foot controller in a snap in bracket with a long enough cord to simply pop it out and use it as a foot controller.

Joe

miriam 04-07-2014 05:38 AM

Once you get used to a knee controller they are very nice to use. I feel like I have better control - brain waves don't have to travel as far???

DebbieJJ 04-07-2014 05:54 AM

I learned to sew on my mom's knee-controlled Dressmaker. Wish I still had that machine. She got a new Kenmore in the early '70's and put the Dressmaker outside under a shed....guess what happened?

J Miller 04-07-2014 05:54 AM

I do like the knee controllers too when they are tight and properly adjusted. When they are worn and loose there is a lot of slack in the linkage that makes it difficult ( for me anyway ) to control the machine's speed.

Joe

miriam 04-07-2014 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6663781)
I do like the knee controllers too when they are tight and properly adjusted. When they are worn and loose there is a lot of slack in the linkage that makes it difficult ( for me anyway ) to control the machine's speed.

Joe

true so true