Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Can I tune up my machine myself? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/can-i-tune-up-my-machine-myself-t243886.html)

Marianne81 03-25-2014 05:41 AM

Can I tune up my machine myself?

I see a lot of people send their machines in for an annual tune up to the sewing repair man and was wondering if I could just do this myself. I've taken machines apart, cleaned and lubricated them, and even buffed them. What does the repair shop do that's so special I'd need to spend $100? Just wondering if I'm missing out on something. I'd much rather save the money and do it myself!

Tartan 03-25-2014 05:58 AM

I clean and oil my vintage machines myself. My Berninas need to go to the dealer or it voids the warranty.

Marianne81 03-25-2014 06:00 AM

All I have are vintage machines. I wouldn't know what to do with the machines that have computer chips and screens on them!

Candace 03-25-2014 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Marianne81 (Post 6643815)
I see a lot of people send their machines in for an annual tune up to the sewing repair man and was wondering if I could just do this myself. I've taken machines apart, cleaned and lubricated them, and even buffed them. What does the repair shop do that's so special I'd need to spend $100? Just wondering if I'm missing out on something. I'd much rather save the money and do it myself!

Modern machines have a warranty, as stated above. You open the machine without proper certification , you void it. Simple as that. It's best to have a service manual if you want to tinker. That's why so many people love the more simplistic, mechanicals and vintage machines. They can easily be maintained and serviced, saving you a ton of money over its life time.

Marianne81 03-25-2014 07:48 AM

Okay, cool. I just wanted confirmation that vintage machine servicing is just basically delinting, cleaning an oiling/ greasing. I won't waste my money then!

miriam 03-25-2014 08:26 AM

Cleaning out lint, oiling, greasing gears, cleaning the smudges off should be a routine clean up. I do that with every one I get - then I clean and adjust the tensions/stitches as well. Check the wires. I trouble shoot anything that needs it as I clean.

Dottie Bug 03-26-2014 02:42 PM

I just took a 99k to the local smg , I am glad I did it needed the timing set , I don't know how to do that,,,..And it keeps him in bussniss, this thing wont let me type.,, DottieBug

Marianne81 03-26-2014 02:52 PM

My husband likes to work on old cars because they're simple and there's no huge computer chips that are needed to make them work. I look at sewing machines the same way (the older ones at least). If you're interested in it, I think anyone can learn how to fix them. There is alot of information out there and once you see how it all works you can figure much out based on your own observations. Aside from timing the gears, I've come to the conclusion that repair guys don't do much more than I could.

miriam 03-26-2014 03:04 PM

If you are doing repairs to make money you would be better off working on bicycles.

Marianne81 03-26-2014 03:07 PM

I can fix bikes too :)