Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Can I use a more standard singer shuttle for my Kayser treadle machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/can-i-use-more-standard-singer-shuttle-my-kayser-treadle-machine-t265920.html)

Glenn 06-03-2015 01:56 PM

I played with shuttle today. What I found was the Singer 15 shuttle works as well as my original shuttle for Kayser. The 15X1 needle will be just fine too. I am still playing so maybe I can find another that works.
Skip

Glenn 06-03-2015 04:13 PM

Kayser with Singer 15 shuttle

3 Attachment(s)
I have tried the Singer 15 in my Kayser and the stitch quality is the same as the original shuttle. I found a couple of the shuttles the right size but the little divet by the point that fits the front of the shuttle carrier is in the wrong place and will not let the shuttle sit properly. The 15 was very smooth operating also. Here is a pics of the 15 in the machine and the sample stitches.[ATTACH=CONFIG]521453[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]521454[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]521455[/ATTACH]I see I need to replace my oil wick for the shuttle

greywuuf 06-03-2015 06:38 PM

there was a singer 15 that took a shuttle ?

Freaky_Quilts_Dragon 06-04-2015 05:59 AM

Yay! *claps hands and dances around* I'm so happy for you and you're new machine! For a shuttle oiling wick, I just use whatever bit of cloth I find that's a bit spongy and cut it to shape. Right now there's a teeny bit of sock in my Davis.

Macybaby 06-04-2015 06:10 AM

greywuuf - he is referring the the BOYE # of the shuttle, which for Singer, is #15.

Totally unrelated to a Singer model 15 sewing machine.

BOYE sold 12 styles of aftermarket shuttles for the most common US machines of the time. I've got machines that take 11 of them, still looking for a very early Eldredge that takes the original longer version of the shuttle that later National machines took.

BTW - Boye groups the numbers for shuttle/needle together, so that is why even though there are only 12 styles of shuttles, they go up to something like #26 or #27. And as time went on, Boye added some half size needles in between. And the very early items had a slightly different numbering system . . .

Sewnoma 06-04-2015 06:11 AM

I think you will DEFINITELY see more traffic in your booth with a treadle set up! It would certainly draw me over! People are going to love that. :)

Freaky_Quilts_Dragon 06-04-2015 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 7216449)
I think you will DEFINITELY see more traffic in your booth with a treadle set up! It would certainly draw me over! People are going to love that. :)

You're going to get costume lovers *and* sewing machine dorks!

Sewnoma 06-04-2015 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Freaky_Quilts_Dragon (Post 7216462)
You're going to get costume lovers *and* sewing machine dorks!

And kids, too!

jbj137 06-04-2015 09:57 AM

*** W*O*W* it looks so good it is a shame about the shuttle rust .

Rodney 06-05-2015 06:00 AM

Would that be the same as a Singer model 128 shuttle? The machine has some superficial similarities to a 128.
Germany was also pretty good at copying other countries machines. I wouldn't be too surprised if that was the case here.
If you plan to clean the machine up please read the stickies on cleaning and watch Muv's videos so you don't damage your machine.
Also, I see a lot of old oil varnished on your machine's shiny bits. Alcohol is great at dissolving the old oil but take the parts off the machine first. It will also dissolve your shellac clear coat.
Rodney