Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Can this machine be rescued? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/can-machine-rescued-t216857.html)

miriam 12-29-2015 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom (Post 6872620)
Miriam??? Were you able to revive the 15? or is she RIP?

Yes it was revived

grant15clone 12-29-2015 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 7417025)
That plate cleaned up nice as did the rest of the machine. It is black chrome so I don't want to rechrome that one. I also have a 201 with much nicer black chrome. Black chrome does not do well in photos for me.

I have been wanting to use gun bluing on them. Has anyone tried that? I think it is what it is, and it would make sense to me that they would use it instead of plating it, Nickel, Chrome, and Copper were scarce when these machines were made.
~G~

miriam 12-29-2015 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by notsothoreau (Post 7202735)
Here is what I am up against (and why it's not picking up the bobbin thread). Now, I know my two Whites different. One is much newer. But the problem is that parts that seem to be similar really are not. That happened to me when I tried to put the new faceplate on the old machine. The thread take up arm is shorter and bangs against the faceplace. I might be able to swap those arms.

Here's the two bobbin races:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]520300[/ATTACH]

The top one is from the old machine. The bottom is from the newer. The bobbin holder and bobbin are from the old machine.

Here's the bobbin and holder in the old race:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]520301[/ATTACH]

And here's the bobbin and holder in the newer race:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]520302[/ATTACH]

See how it sticks up? That's why it's not picking up the bobbin thread. It won't seat right. Now the newer head is a Family Rotary from the 20s. I think I'd have better luck getting a new bobbin and holder that would fit that. The old machine does not seem to be a Family Rotary and I'm concerned that parts I buy for it may not fit. I might have to give up on it, save the base and use the newer head to get it working.

I hope you never gave up on that machine. The hand wheel turns away from you. See if that helps

grant15clone 12-29-2015 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7417052)
super job!!! one to be proud of for sure!!! How well does it sew?

Steve, It sews pretty well. Like an Elna Grasshopper. They are kind of like a "Clone" for them, from what I understand. I did shoot a shaky video of it sewing. I should post that on my page anyway too I suppose. I don't think I can post it here.
Here is the first sample on a single layer of denim. I still needed to fine tune the tension, but you can see that it did a nice job. It was well mannered on slower speeds but it was pretty fast and shook a little at higher speeds. But that is nothing new.
~G~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539009[/ATTACH]

SteveH 12-29-2015 11:37 AM

very nice!

HelenAnn 12-29-2015 04:26 PM

Another job well done. I still forget to take my after photos but I am getting better.

Cari-in-Oly 12-29-2015 11:05 PM

Great job cleaning up that one Grant. You really must have some magic. I've sewn on a Portman (same machine) and it was, well to put it nicely, underwhelming. You're the first person I've seen that has one that actually sews well.

Cari

grant15clone 12-30-2015 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 7417609)
Great job cleaning up that one Grant. You really must have some magic. I've sewn on a Portman (same machine) and it was, well to put it nicely, underwhelming. You're the first person I've seen that has one that actually sews well.

Cari

Thank you. It makes nice stitches, but it is kind of noisy. It had better sew well after all of the work I put into it.
Thank you too Helen Ann and Steve.
~Grant~

sewbeadit 12-30-2015 05:51 PM

Beautiful work, I would have passed on that one, you all are so good at what you do!

PatriciaPf 01-20-2016 04:11 PM

What do you do/use to shine the Japanned finish?