Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Can someone tell me what this machine is? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/can-someone-tell-me-what-machine-t265471.html)

carolsews2 05-21-2015 06:23 PM

Can someone tell me what this machine is?

6 Attachment(s)
My husband is helping out with an estate sale that is coming up soon and he says this machine looks really good and thought it was a featherweight. He sent me pictures so I knew it wasn't a Featherweight but don't know what it is. Didn't think to ask him to find the numbers on the bottom of the machine. Here are the pictures he sent to me. I know you all will know what machine this is. Cabinet is in great condition too so what would a fair price range be for the machine and cabinet? Thanks for your help! Carol

greywuuf 05-21-2015 06:30 PM

201 I think, but having never owned one I could be mistaken.

manicmike 05-21-2015 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf (Post 7202935)
201 I think, but having never owned one I could be mistaken.

No you're right, it's a 201-2

carolsews2 05-21-2015 06:55 PM

Oh, thanks so much for the info. Now I'll look it up and see what I can learn about it. Is it considered a good, collectible machine? I'm thinking of getting it for one of my daughters. Carol

greywuuf 05-21-2015 07:02 PM

It is considered to be the "premeire" user of the older iron lady (black cast iron) machines. One of the more expensive to acquire originally, not as old or as rare (from a collection standpoint) but a very smooth well built straight stitch machine. If I could find one without the "potted" motor I will have one someday....but I will use mine in a treadle. The one in the picture I would consider "very desirable". I would personally think a complete machine/cabinet in that condition would command a premium price....but I am in Alaska so have little to choose from.

Mrs. SewNSew 05-22-2015 05:56 AM

201 and yes collectible. It's a strong straight stitcher. One of the good'ns. :)

Sewnoma 05-22-2015 06:03 AM

201! I've been keeping my eyes open for the "right" one for myself. That one looks to be in good shape - nice cabinet too. I'd totally be into that machine!

It has a reputation for having REALLY good stitches.

Macybaby 05-22-2015 06:43 AM

They are great machines, but "collectable?" well, if you want a lot of Singers, then you should have this one. However they aren't what I would consider an investment like some collectables would be. If you really want "collectable" machines that have long term value as a collectable, you need to go after the early types - mostly pre-high arm machines.

About 95% of the value of a Singer 201-2 is in it's usability. Now, if you stumble upon a 201 Hand crank- that one does have more value as a collectable machine than as a user.

ArchaicArcane 05-22-2015 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 7203328)
About 95% of the value of a Singer 201-2 is in it's usability. Now, if you stumble upon a 201 Hand crank- that one does have more value as a collectable machine than as a user.

I agree. The 201s in general are incredible machines. I was rebuilding the potted motor on the couch while we watched TV (I don't know how that happened, or why,... I'm usually really good about corralling the greasy bits in the "shop") and had just finished. I put the motor back on the machine and proceeded to test sew (and check for smoke! LOL!) when DH's head whipped around and stared at the machine. He said he had no idea the machine was running til he caught the take up lever moving in his peripheral vision. No, the TV wasn't that loud. ;)

I didn't realize the 201HC was that collectible! Now I know why you were so interested when I found that one at Christmas. ;) I suppose I should get on the "project build a new bentwood" for it then.

Cari-in-Oly 05-22-2015 08:51 AM

That is a very nice looking machine. The 201-2 was my first Singer, and still my favorite. You should absolutely get it, but if you sew with it you may not want to give it to your daughter.

Cari