Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Can you tell me about a Singer 66? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/can-you-tell-me-about-singer-66-a-t190172.html)

nanna-up-north 05-27-2012 05:15 PM

Can you tell me about a Singer 66?

I have an opportunity to buy a 1931 Singer model 66 but I'd like to ask those of you that have a 66 a little about them. I haven't seen it yet but the owner says everything moves and the decals are good.... flowers and leaves she thought. I can go see it before I decide but I need to know what to check out..... probably won't be able to plug it in because it is in a storage unit.

So, I tried to do a little research on eBay to see what the 66 looks like. I see it has a round bobbin. Do you know if more bobbins will be difficult to find? Does anyone know the number of the bobbin?

This one has a motor (singer) and light.

Does the 66 use the standard 15-1 size needle?

Are there any special advantages to having the 66? Some of the eBay listings say industrial.... were they? Would this machine sew several layers of jean fabric, for example?

There are no attachments with this machine and no cabinet. I saw one on eBay for $39 with no bids. Would that price be too much for a 66 with no attachments or cabinet?

Okay, there are so many experts out there with these machines.... You have all inspired me to find these beauties but I'm new at the hunt and am willing to listen and learn.

Thanks, nanna-up-north

J Miller 05-27-2012 06:28 PM

The Singer model 66 is a good solid stout machine but it is not an industrial by any means.
The early ones used a round knob to control the stitch length. It has no reference marks. The later ones had a stitch length lever with reference marks and a back tacker.

It uses the Class 66 steel bobbins. They are quite common. You can find them most anywhere.
It uses the common 15x1 needle.
It uses the regular low shank feet avail lots of places.

Advantages, beats me, I have 5 of them. 2 treadles, 3 electric. They sew beautiful straight stitches.
They are very durable and trouble free. Just feed 'em some oil and they're happy.
I really can't think of any fragile or troublesome parts to them.

Since you can't test run it I'd check it to be sure it's free turning, then check the wiring and if all is well I think I'd try to get it for $25.00 or so.

JMHO

Joe

J Miller 05-27-2012 08:02 PM

PS: Mine will walk through 4 layers of denim like it was light weight cotton. One of the electrics went through 8 layers and didn't break a sweat. Not industrial but not wimps either.

Joe

Vintage.Singers.NYC 05-27-2012 09:55 PM

Nanna, Joe has already answered most of your questions; as for this one,

"Would this machine sew several layers of jean fabric, for example?"

Imagine I told you I'm buying a used Chevy, and asked you "Will I be able to drive this up a hill?" Your answer woud likely be "Well, it depends on the condition it's in." If the machine is ship-shape, no problem. If it's rusted and the motor is burnt out, perhaps not. Best thing is to test it out yourself before you spend any money.

nanna-up-north 05-28-2012 02:57 AM

Thanks Joe, and Vintage Singers NYC, You are right. It's condition, condition, condition as always. I guess I should at least go look at it. I don't think the seller will part with it for $25 but all I can do is ask. Without attachments or a manual or the ability to plug it in and give it a test drive, it's probably not worth any more than that.

NJ Quilter 05-28-2012 03:34 AM

I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago. It runs but that's really about all I know. If the seller says flowers and leaves I'm thinking redeye??? The one I picked up is! I got it in a cabinet, it's electric; does have a manual and honestly haven't had a chance to check for accessories. But paid $50 and was happy to do so. It will fit it the restored cabinet that was my g-grandmothers. She needs cleaned up a bit but everything was moving freely so to me it was worth it. Hopefully this week I'll get to play with her.

barri1 05-28-2012 04:47 AM

I love my 66.. It is so user friendly.. I paid $60 at an estate sale.. I probaly paid too much, but she was in working condition, had a bunch of stuff in her cabinet, and I'm not disapointed.. She loves to be oiled, and she sings with pleasure.. I would use her exclusively, but I also have a 99 .. She doesn't do zig zag, and occasionally I like to do applique.. I'll get over it..

nanna-up-north 05-28-2012 05:19 AM

So, can you drop the feed dogs on a 66?

kydeb 05-28-2012 06:23 AM

I think your questions have been answered. I piece exclusively on 66s - a 1948 model and a 1914 Red Eye Treadle. I love them both! Simple and, as someone already said, all I've had to do is feed them oil!

J Miller 05-28-2012 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 5248325)
So, can you drop the feed dogs on a 66?

No. If you want to FMQ or darn you'll have to use a plate over the feed dogs.

Joe