Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Can't loosen the screws (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/cant-loosen-screws-t215716.html)

ArizonaKAT 03-07-2013 07:49 AM

Can't loosen the screws

I finally found time to take my 201 apart and do a clean up on her but of course I have two stubborn screws that won't budge. Can someone tell me how I can get them to turn?

KAT

vanginney 03-07-2013 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by ArizonaKAT (Post 5911350)
I finally found time to take my 201 apart and do a clean up on her but of course I have two stubborn screws that won't budge. Can someone tell me how I can get them to turn?

KAT

I am not an expert, and it depends where the screws are located. But I place a small drop of oil on the screw and let it sit. It usually helps it to turn.

Emma S 03-07-2013 08:20 AM

If you are trying to loosen them with a small screwdriver, try a larger one. Sometimes you just can't get the leverage.

Sierra 03-07-2013 08:22 AM

Use a bit of oil and then, while waiting for that to do it's thing, go to Harbor Freight and get their mini screw driver that has gears and several types of screw driver designs. It will work in any area down to an inch of space. I have bad arthritis in my hands and DH got this for me and, because of its design of gears I can use it! It cost less than $5. He used to take off my bobbin cover so I could put a drop of oil in, now I easily do it myself!

SteveH 03-07-2013 08:34 AM

I use a screwdriver that is as wide as the slot and I make sure it goes ALL the way to to the bottom of the slot
A little tapping might help. With the screw driver in the slot GENTLY tap the handle end with a hammer.
(This idea of this is to vibrate loose the rust/grime)
Liquid Wrench (easy to find) or Kroil (better but harder to find.)
PB blaster works(from autoparts stores), but I've been told to be careful not to get it on the rest of the machine
A little heat from a hair dryer also helps.

J Miller 03-07-2013 08:39 AM

I'll bet the two screws are the needle plate screws.
If so start with the oil, penetrating oil if you have it.

Then go to harbor freight and get a small ratchet handle bit driver set. You cannot get a straight shot at those screws with a normal screwdriver. Use the proper size bit held straight and carefully apply the pressure to the screws.

I've had to do many of them that way. Strangely a lot of people crank those tiny screws down way too tight. I guess they think they are holding the whole machine together.

Joe

ArizonaKAT 03-07-2013 10:45 AM

Actually I'm trying to get the wheel off. I can't get to the little grease tube things.

J Miller 03-07-2013 12:00 PM

AZKAT,

You don't need to take the wheel off to get to the grease tube caps. But to remove the hand wheel, just remove the stop motion knob and pull it off. Just like a normal machine.

The ratchet bit driver will work on the grease tube caps too, or a pair of pliers with the jaws padded with rubber tubing.

Joe

Vintage.Singers.NYC 03-07-2013 12:34 PM

Kat, please be specific as to exactly which two screws you're trying to remove, and we can offer some better assistance.

Caroline S 03-07-2013 03:13 PM

Kat, a picture is worth a thousand words.