Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Chandler Mini Skipper Blindstitch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/chandler-mini-skipper-blindstitch-t303617.html)

KLKing 03-15-2019 09:51 AM

Chandler Mini Skipper Blindstitch

Hi can anyone tell me how old this machine might be? I have not been able to find a serial number anywhere, and a glued on tag is missing. It is a portable blindstitch machine.
I have replaced the motor and wiring. it works perfectly.
This was a yard sale find, and it cost me a small fortune to refurbish.
I have photos but do not know how to post them here. Thanks, Karen

KLKing 03-15-2019 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo
[ATTACH=CONFIG]610366[/ATTACH]

OurWorkbench 03-16-2019 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by KLKing (Post 8225777)
Hi can anyone tell me how old this machine might be? I have not been able to find a serial number anywhere, and a glued on tag is missing. It is a portable blindstitch machine.
I have replaced the motor and wiring. it works perfectly.
This was a yard sale find, and it cost me a small fortune to refurbish.
I have photos but do not know how to post them here. Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen. Have you replaced any other parts besides the motor and wiring? I don't know where you are located, but in Denver there is an Industrial Sewing machine shop. If I were to get an industrial machine (or domestic, made by industrial manufacturer) I would either call or take it to them to see if they knew where the serial number is. The other possibility would be Chandler Machine USA. From my research, I don't think the Mini Skipper is that old, probably less than 20 years old. Of course, that is considered old to some LOL..

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

themadpatter 03-17-2019 10:48 AM

That is an adorable little machine! Will you sbow us a video of it in use?

KLKing 03-18-2019 07:57 AM

After searching the net and finding out next to nothing, I did email the Chandler Co. but have not heard back yet. The lift up rod for the thread was missing as was the foot pedal/ power assembly and motor. Also it was very dirty. After an in shop service my total investment was $ 325.00
I did feel I overpaid for service, but always wanted a blindstitch.
This machine was found by my Sis-in law in Georgia; who paid $50 for it with me in mind. I brought it home to Phoenix 3 years ago, and later moved to N. Carolina. It has made 2 cross country trips recently!
I am not able to do a video, unless I can get help with it.
Thanks again for your response,
Karen

leonf 03-18-2019 08:04 AM

HI Karen, welcome aboard. Most of us here don't deal with industrials.

if you are on Facebookm there is a vintage industrail group that may be more helpful. Industrail motors can be high dollar monsters. I am guessing you may not have overpaid for your service.

Farmhousesewer 03-19-2019 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Karen, I have a Tacsew which is almost identical. I imagine most of these machines were made by the same mfr. There are just a handful. My serial number is on a tiny plate on the left bottom front of the base.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]610540[/ATTACH]