Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Changing needle on 221FW. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/changing-needle-221fw-t240661.html)

Marti1943 02-08-2014 01:29 PM

Changing needle on 221FW.

This is the first time for changing the needle on my FW. I have read in manual but can't seem to get the flat side on the needle in right. Please help.

J Miller 02-08-2014 01:45 PM

Featherweight needles go in FLAT to the LEFT on the right side of the needle bar, and thread RIGHT to LEFT.

Joe

manicmike 02-08-2014 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Marti1943 (Post 6562912)
This is the first time for changing the needle on my FW. I have read in manual but can't seem to get the flat side on the needle in right. Please help.

What Joe said. I was struck by the fact it's the first time you changed the needle. I'm hoping you've only acquired it very recently. Needles don't just break, they wear out too and should be changed every so often (or you'll get other problems).

Marti1943 02-09-2014 06:16 AM

I did just get the FW. I will watch for the needle getting dull Also I have read that Singer needles are not the best. What do you recommend--Schmetz? TU for your info.

Tink's Mom 02-09-2014 06:47 AM

Schmetz are my favorite needle...but that is just me.
Rule of thumb on replacing needles is every 10 hours of sewing....Think of it as all of your piecing of a quilt top, fresh needle. The needle will develop a burr with all the penetrations of the fabric.

minibarn 02-09-2014 07:01 AM

I read a book recently that was talking about machine needles and it said Singer machines can't use Schmetz needles. I thought that was curious because while I mostly use Organ, I know I have used Schmetz in my SInger w/not trouble. Anyone else heard that before?

Jp

J Miller 02-09-2014 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by minibarn (Post 6564245)
I read a book recently that was talking about machine needles and it said Singer machines can't use Schmetz needles. I thought that was curious because while I mostly use Organ, I know I have used Schmetz in my SInger w/not trouble. Anyone else heard that before?

Jp

Jp, That's the funniest piece of fiction I've heard in a long time. ALL my Singers can and do use Schmetz needles. From the early 1900 ones to the only 90s vintage one I have. The Schmetz needles work great. Where the writers of that book came up with that idea, I don't know.

Needle wear:
I have a work hood with magnifying lenses that will go up to 18 power. If you look at a new needle, then compare the same needle after several hours of use, you will see just how much wear punching through fabric causes to the tip.

My wife has been sewing so long she can touch the tip with her finger and tell me weather or not it's worn out or damaged. I used to look each needle over with the magnifying hood to see if she was right or not. She's so good I don't bother checking the needles any more.

Joe

Jeanette Frantz 02-09-2014 01:31 PM

My son (formerly a sewing machine mechanic for 14 years) recommends the Schmetz needles!

Jeanette

manicmike 02-10-2014 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Marti1943 (Post 6564119)
I did just get the FW. I will watch for the needle getting dull Also I have read that Singer needles are not the best. What do you recommend--Schmetz? TU for your info.

I use Schmetz, but I've heard Organ are good quality too (I've had no problem with them so far).

P.S. Re: the Schmetz fiction, they're the *only* company that specifically makes the needles for the Singer 206/306/319/320

purplefiend 02-10-2014 12:19 PM

I use both Schmetz and Organ needles in all of my machines, both new and antique. All of my machines take a 15x1 needle.
Sharon