Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Chasing a Foot Controller! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/chasing-foot-controller-t234126.html)

Vridar 11-06-2013 07:35 AM

Chasing a Foot Controller!

:mad: This is not specifically a vintage question, but my vintage friends (vintage machine friends not vintage persons, anyway, a few of us) are so knowledgable they will have the answer. I have adhered Velcro hook strips on foot controllers to suppress movement, on carpet at least - but, with little improvement. Hardwood floors are even worse for controllers staying put. I've threatened to screw the controllers on a board. That makes for less portability. Short of cabineting with knee controllers, what are the answers? Cabineting would be much less portable:D.

grams5 11-06-2013 08:45 AM

I use a hexagon shaped silcone mat (to put hot items on) from Wal-Marts. I use it on tile and wood floors.

J Miller 11-06-2013 09:42 AM

I have used the rubber pads too. My wife has a special pad she bought on line that she uses. I've tried her silicone iron pad between the controllers that get hot and the carpet, works pretty good.

But what works most of all is butting the controller up against something heavy that don't slide.

I once saw a wooden tray affair with edges and rubber feet on it that you just set the controller in. The edges stop the controller from sliding and the rubber feet stopped the tray from sliding. I think it was home made.

Joe

Vridar 11-06-2013 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6390272)
But what works most of all is butting the controller up against something heavy that don't slide.

Joe

I knew I'd get an answer. I have a 50 pound scale weight used for checking produce scales of old. It won't even look out of place in our vintage (meaning old) living quarters.

Macybaby 11-06-2013 11:07 AM

I'm planning on making a wood tray that will butt up against the wall for mine. It doesn't slide around much, but enough to be annoying.

J Miller 11-06-2013 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 6390444)
I'm planning on making a wood tray that will butt up against the wall for mine. It doesn't slide around much, but enough to be annoying.

When you get it done, be sure to post us a pic or three ... :) .

Joe

justducky65 11-08-2013 05:52 AM

I have the same problem. I was going to try rubber shelf liner that comes in a roll and different colors and see if that works.

sjdal 11-08-2013 02:29 PM

I bought a rubber door mat at the home improvement store and cut it to the appropriate size. It has ridges rather than bumps to catch dirt. Works great and I was able to get several good sized pieces from one mat. Much less expensive that the ones in the sewing notions catalogs.

Quilter Day-by-Day 11-08-2013 02:29 PM

Shelf liner doesn't work, I 've also tried the mouse pad thing and that didn't work either, this was all on carpet does it make a any difference on a concrete floor. Right now I've just them pushed up against the back of cabinet. Seems to be working.

tenngal 11-09-2013 08:34 PM

Doesn't work.........