Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Child's Singer I Think (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/childs-singer-i-think-t229169.html)

Blackberry 08-31-2013 01:49 PM

Child's Singer I Think

7 Attachment(s)
I was buying another Singer from this guy yesterday and my DH noticed this little cutie. I asked the man if it was for sale and if so, how much. He told me he would sell it to me for $40. It has its own little treadle cabinet with drawers. It is the cutest thing I have seen in a long time, however, I don't know if it is a child's machine or not. It has feed dogs but no needle and I don't have any idea how to thread it. I guess there is no bobbin as I can't find one underneath. Would it possibly take the same kind of needle that a child's 20-10 takes. The floral motifs are nearly perfect. It looks very pretty even though it needs to be cleaned, oiled and polished badly. It appears that the cabinet has been painted but the treadle is the black color as old style treadles. I checked the serial number but it does not correlate so I don't know what that serial number means. The machine sits on a black board that attaches to the cabinet. Then it folds down into the cabinet like a normal treadle machine. Has anyone ever seen one like this and if so can you fill me in on some info about it. I am sure it is not anything I will ever use but I still would like to get some information on it. I will send more pictures after I do some cleaning and polishing on it. Today is our 45th Wedding Anniversary and I think this is a very appropriate gift since I am addicted to vintage machines.

Mizkaki 08-31-2013 04:03 PM

Blackberry,

Congratulations!! You have lucked into a beautiful Singer 24 chain stitcher from 1905. It takes a 24x1 needle, the same as a Singer 20 toy machine.

Cathy

Caroline S 08-31-2013 08:55 PM

That is a score Blackberry. Now I WANT one too. By looking up the serial number I see that only 5000 were allotted on 10 July 1905. I wonder how rare they are now?

mighty 09-01-2013 06:11 AM

Awesome, score!!!

Sheluma 09-01-2013 07:16 AM

It's a chain stitcher. It doesn't use a bobbin. These were used in both the home and in industry, in some cases even steam powered. Some people say that this machine was Singer's answer to the Willcox and Gibbs chainstitcher. I've been wanting one of these forever. I think you should definitely clean it up and use it!!

SteveH 09-01-2013 10:13 AM

believe it or not, it is really more of an industrial machine than a home machine. used in hat production a lot because of he single thread and almost silent operation. (Imagine a room with 100-200 of these running at once)

Sheluma 09-01-2013 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6267804)
believe it or not, it is really more of an industrial machine than a home machine. used in hat production a lot because of he single thread and almost silent operation. (Imagine a room with 100-200 of these running at once)

Interesting. Chain stitchers are still used in industry. I have some chain stitching on modern jeans. I think the time-savings of not having to stop to wind or change bobbins may be a factor, too. The W&G chain stitcher was definitely marketed both ways. I have a manual that is geared toward home use. The W&G straw hat machine looks different, though.

Windblown 09-01-2013 12:05 PM

What a great deal you got Blackberry, I have always love this decal pattern.

csharp 09-01-2013 03:25 PM

Thanks for sharing, pictures like these and thanks to those who have input, it expands the knowledge of those of us who are on a learning curve about vintage machines. Love this, and what a great gift for your anniversary and the price was perfect. Good for you. :)

Mariposa 09-01-2013 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by csharp (Post 6268329)
Thanks for sharing, pictures like these and thanks to those who have input, it expands the knowledge of those of us who are on a learning curve about vintage machines. Love this, and what a great gift for your anniversary and the price was perfect. Good for you. :)

Ditto on this~~