Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Civil War Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/civil-war-quilting-t194984.html)

kaysue4 07-17-2012 08:59 PM

Civil War Quilting

Is there anyone on here that does Civil War quilting? I am a re-enactor and I started my very first block quilt and I am planning on putting it on to a quilting table. Is there anyone with information on quilting bees that were held in the 1860 during the War Between the States?
Thanks much,
Kim (Kaysue4)

QuiltMom2 07-18-2012 05:03 AM

The American Quilt Story: The How-To and Heritage of a Craft Tradition by Susan Jenkins and Linda Seward has a few pages on the U.S. Sanitary Commission and Ladies' Aid Society quilts that you might find interesting. My daughter gave me The Civil War Diary Quilt by Rosemary Youngs which has some fascinating diary excerpts written by women during the war. Keep us posted on how your quilt comes out and have fun with the re-enactments!

kaysue4 07-18-2012 07:42 AM

Civil War Quilting

Thank you so much for those suggestions. But has anyone on here ever done quilting of this fashion? I am not using quilting thread because they would not have had it back then, I am use old thread that my Mom gave me before she passed away in sew sewing box, and it is on a wooden spool also.
I have order some squares and I am cutting my own squares also, which I also have never done before. So I am learning alot, mostly on my own. Glad to have found this site.
Kim (Kaysue4)

QuiltMom2 07-20-2012 04:51 AM

If you're using old thread, be careful that it doesn't break. I learned to quilt on my own too and I used to do quite a bit of hand quilting and a thimble ranks as a necessity in my book!

Christine- 07-20-2012 06:29 AM

I'm making 6 civil war quilts. I would recommend tossing the old thread and using new. There is plenty of reproduction fabric, my favorite shop is Lone Star Mercantile. She's only open on the weekends but she has many civil war fabric collections.

kaysue4 07-21-2012 09:19 PM

Quilting Tread

Originally Posted by Christine- (Post 5379749)
I'm making 6 civil war quilts. I would recommend tossing the old thread and using new. There is plenty of reproduction fabric, my favorite shop is Lone Star Mercantile. She's only open on the weekends but she has many civil war fabric collections.

the thread that I have is still really strong, so I am lucky there. I think that I will take quilting thread and just rewrap it onto wooden spools for the week long living history that I will be going to.
Thank you for the advice. I don't know how to post a pic, but I have it on my Facebook, Kimberly Moffitt Adams, in my album.

kaysue4 07-21-2012 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMom2 (Post 5379438)
If you're using old thread, be careful that it doesn't break. I learned to quilt on my own too and I used to do quite a bit of hand quilting and a thimble ranks as a necessity in my book!

I am trying to find old wooden thimbles or even a pic of some very 1860 thimbles. I understand that when I put all of the three layers are together on the quilting table.