Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Class 66 Bobbins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/class-66-bobbins-t180869.html)

Grannyh67 02-27-2012 06:52 AM

Class 66 Bobbins

OK, for all those kind people who tried to help me with the Class 66 Bobbins. I just want you all to know I am not crazy. You were all right, the bobbin is curved a little but the ones I have are curved a lot on the sides. I bought them at Wal-Mart, well go figure, lol......they will work in the machine but can't use them on Bobbin Winder because the opening is too small. The little hole where it fits onto the bobbin winder is also bigger. I went to Hancocks and bought Dritz Class 66 Bobbins and they work perfectly. They are wider and fit onto the bobbin winder just fine and also the little hole where they fit onto the winder fits snug. Who would ever thought they would be different. I thought I was going crazy because I knew you Girls knew what you were talking about. I even thought that someone had changed out the bobbin winders, lol......Well I am so glad I found out the problem, now I will never buy Wal-Mart Bobbins again. Just wanted to let you all know I have it working now and wanted to thank you all for all the help. You all know who you are, I might be needing some Class 66 Bobbins now that I know yours will work. I am sure they are not Wal-Mart Bobbins, lol.....sew have a wonderful day and God Bless. Joy

Charlee 02-27-2012 07:41 AM

:) Isn't it sweet when something works the way it's supposed to?

J Miller 02-27-2012 09:02 AM

I have noticed the same thing about bobbins. They come in a great variation of quality and not all are even worth buying. I have several variations of Class 66 bobbins and although they work through the machines, as you said they don't always work on the winders.
The way I look at it if they won't work on the bobbin winders on the machine you gonna use them in, then they can go in the scrap metal bin.

Joe

Grannyh67 02-27-2012 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5013028)
I have noticed the same thing about bobbins. They come in a great variation of quality and not all are even worth buying. I have several variations of Class 66 bobbins and although they work through the machines, as you said they don't always work on the winders.
The way I look at it if they won't work on the bobbin winders on the machine you gonna use them in, then they can go in the scrap metal bin.

Joe

That is exactly the way I feel Joe. I will be more careful from now on as to where I buy my Bobbins, lol.....learn something new every day. Joy

Daylesewblessed 02-28-2012 04:42 AM

I have bought new shiny metal bobbins for my vintage Pfaff 130. They look identical to the original bobbins and fit into the bobbin case fine. However, once inserted in the machine the tension is extremely tight, and I can barely pull the bobbin thread. If I stick with vintage bobbins, everything is ok.

Dayle

HiDesertQuilter 02-28-2012 08:52 AM

I purchased new bobbins for my favorite vintage featherweight because I use it so much. My machine wouldn't sew, just wadded up underneath. I thought it was my machine but, low and behold, it was only when I tried to use a new bobbin! I held them up next to my old ones which came with the machine and they were one metal thickness wider in width. Threw them in the garbage. I stick with the old ones now. My advice to people who are going to buy bobbins is to be sure to take their old one along and compare them before making the purchase.

3TreeFrog 02-28-2012 11:05 AM

Hello

At times, you can find a lot of class 66 Bobbins at WalMart, however you have to be careful and read the package. I need class 66 for one of my machines, and not for the other 3 and they are ALL Singer machines! However what I did find is that the class 66 bobbin work with all my machines! Silly isn't it?

TreeFrog

RIDGEFIELD 02-29-2012 04:25 AM

I had the same problem with the 66 bobbins from Joanns. I returned them and bought the Dritz which worked fine.

Grannyh67 02-29-2012 06:08 AM

It is good to know I am not the only one who has had problems with the Class 66 Bobbins. From now on I will only buy Dritz Bobbins. They work great. They work so smooth in the machine as well as the Bobbin Winder. Joy

BarbaraSue 02-29-2012 09:20 AM

I figure if it's a vintage machine, I should try to get vintage bobbins, as sometimes the design has modified over the years.
I have had the same trouble also, sometimes the Walmart's will work (they sell Dritz too) and sometimes they don't.