Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/cleaning-repairing-shellac-clear-coat-vintage-sewing-machine-heads-t193635.html)

asgardner 12-30-2014 08:47 AM

Thanks, ArchaicArcane!

asgardner 12-30-2014 08:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Bear with me, I have a couple more pics.[ATTACH=CONFIG]504130[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]504129[/ATTACH]The first one shows where an area of yellowed shellac has come off. The shellac actually pilled up into pellets on the machine. The second pic shows two more yellowed areas. Should I keep going until it does like the first pic, or am I removing too much. It seems like the whole bed of the machine would eventually do this. Is this what i am wanting to happen? Thanks!

asgardner 12-30-2014 10:40 AM

My husband just walked in and says it looks awful! I'm fairly certain it's ruined. IS there anyone I can send it to to finish the process? It was my grandmother's.

asgardner 12-30-2014 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Can anybody point me towards a restoration person? [ATTACH=CONFIG]504145[/ATTACH]

Glenn 12-30-2014 02:21 PM

You just have not gone far enough. You still have old yellowed shellac on the bed. You have not damaged anything. Take some alcohol and oil and cont the process. You can use shellac with linseed oil if you like but it will be slower. The last process is to french polish with shellac and a very little linseed oil. You just have not yet blended the old shellac with the new yet. Use a soft rag and go in circles and then straight lines. The scratches are from to heavy a hand. This takes a while to do and is not a quick process.
Skip

Glenn 12-30-2014 02:52 PM

Also Asgardner go to the first page of this thread for the comlete instructions. Just click on last and it will take you there.

asgardner 12-30-2014 03:46 PM

Glen, I did wonder if the really smooth spot was where all the old shellac finally came off. I am not comfortable doing any more at this point because I am afraid of harming the decals. :(

miriam 12-30-2014 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by asgardner (Post 7027341)
Glen, I did wonder if the really smooth spot was where all the old shellac finally came off. I am not comfortable doing any more at this point because I am afraid of harming the decals. :(

If you read you will see that the idea is NOT to remove the old shellac but to blend it.

asgardner 12-30-2014 04:30 PM

Now I'm confused. I've read and read the thread. I even printed the instructions out before beginning - both Glen's and miriam's. I didn't set out to take ANY shellac off but apparently that's what I did. According to Glen I need to keep going. . . I am not going to do anything else to it myself as I obviously don't understand what I am supposed to do well enough.

asgardner 12-30-2014 04:30 PM

Maybe this is her way of telling me she's supposed to be lilac. ;)