Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   converting electric Singer 15-90 to treadle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/converting-electric-singer-15-90-treadle-t205798.html)

ChattyKathy 11-12-2012 02:28 PM

converting electric Singer 15-90 to treadle

Last year with help on this board I refurbish my treadle Singer 66 red eye. My newest acquisition is an electric Singer 15-90...serial number JC214690...It sits in a really pretty oak table. I want to convert it to a treadle and was thinking I would use the treadle base from my 66. I have seen the conversion info on "TreadleOn". I was wondering if there was any other info/directions/tutorial for electric to treadle conversion for a Singer 15-90. I bought this new baby for "free motion quilting". Any info regarding that would also be greatly appreciated.
Last summer I just searched for all the refurbishing info for my "66". It was tough to get going. Again, I am feeling intimidated by the job ahead, but I know if I just bite the bullet and do it...then I have a great time and feel really proud. Thanks

J Miller 11-12-2012 05:05 PM

To use the 15-90 in a treadle cabinet:

1; Remove the motor, (one screw) and light (on screw probably under the rear inspection plate) from the 15, place in zip-lock bag for safe keeping. Make sure you do not loose the motor bracket screw it is not a standard thread.
2; Remove 66 from treadle cabinet. Simply loosen the two grub screws that hold the machine to the hinge shaft. Put the machine in a plastic bag to keep it clean.
3; Put the 15 in the treadle cabinet. Slide the hinge shafts into the two holes on the back of the machine and tighten the grub screws.
4; Put treadle belt on the 15 and adjust to fit.
You might want to acquire a spoked hand wheel for the 15. It will give you some extra needed inertia as you treadle. If you want you can use the one from the 66. The belt guard on the 15 might not work with the spoked hand wheel. The 66 belt guard won't work on the 15.
5; Treadle to your hearts content.

Joe

ChattyKathy 11-12-2012 06:26 PM

Sounds very easy thanks

miriam 11-13-2012 03:42 AM

You might trade the bobbin winder from the 66 along with the big hand wheel. If the belt guard doesn't fit see if Cathy has one.

miriam 12-25-2014 01:24 AM

oops you can't trade a 66 belt guard and a 15 belt guard and there aren't screws available. You would have to run it with out a belt guard and use a side winder for winding bobbins.

J Miller 12-25-2014 06:51 AM

A 66 bobbin winder won't fit on a 15 anyway. Different mounting screw locations.
Been there, couldn't done that.

Joe

Rodney 12-25-2014 11:03 AM

Different machines but I just converted a Singer 99 to handcrank. No changes to the guard or bobbin winder were necessary. I think it's easier to convert from electric to treadle or hand crank than it is the other way around. On electric machines you already have a bobbin winder that is designed to run on the edge of the wheel, not the treadle belt.
Rodney

J Miller 12-25-2014 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 7021053)
Different machines but I just converted a Singer 99 to handcrank. No changes to the guard or bobbin winder were necessary. I think it's easier to convert from electric to treadle or hand crank than it is the other way around. On electric machines you already have a bobbin winder that is designed to run on the edge of the wheel, not the treadle belt.
Rodney

Same with my 99K Rusty. The only thing I had to switch out is the hand wheel. Works pretty good.

Joe

ChattyKathy 12-28-2014 03:43 PM

Thanks all for the assistance. My conversion worked well except for the bobbin winder on the 15-90. I finally had a fellow QuiltBoarder, who only lives about an hour from me, assist me with fixing it. Turns out I just needed to put a little more ump into a screwdriver to tighten the bobbin winder onto the spoke wheel. I have been happily treadling away on the 15-90. I have made a couple of quilts with her. The 66 RedEye converted to a HC quite easily but sadly I have not really used her. Since then I have added 2 FW, a pink Morse, a blue Morse , Singer 401A, a late 1950's Singer 179F treadle, and a Necchi BU Mira. Per my DH I have to stop now so I do not clutter up the house, but I am always looking.

DWOODS 12-28-2014 06:59 PM

I recently acquired a treadle Singer 15-88. Are these machines similar? I'm having a problem with my bobbin winder.