Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Is that crinkle Godzilla finish really as rare as they say? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/crinkle-godzilla-finish-really-rare-they-say-t301613.html)

lindawmn 12-16-2018 07:43 PM

Is that crinkle Godzilla finish really as rare as they say?

There are sites on the internet that lead you to feel that way, and yet, Ebay seems to have a ton of them for really cheap! I guess it depends on model? The 221s are apparently quite rare in that finish.

KalamaQuilts 12-17-2018 06:30 AM

a bit unusual, but not rare.
YOu also see sellers who use the word industrial for all vintage machines too.

Macybaby 12-17-2018 06:56 AM

no, and neither is the "blackside" stuff. Singer used the finishes as an alternate, they didn't consider them anything "special" at the time. Several other manufacturers use a "crinkle" type finish at that time too.

like you pointed out, it is rare with the 221 (crinkle) You can find 128 easily, and also 66. I don't think I've ever seen a 15 or 201 with an original crinkle finish.

leonf 12-17-2018 07:44 AM

And don't forget about "rare" knee controllers.... yawn.

Mickey2 12-17-2018 08:42 AM

It depends on how rare they claim them to be. Originial Singer crinkle fishin aren't that common, but they turn up now and then. I have seen lots of refurbished old machine done in crinkle finish, compared to Singer models who started out as crinkle finish. Refurbished finshes isn't quite the same. I think tall the novelty Featherweights fetch a bit extra, both money and attention. Some seek out a special feature and are willing to pay for it; white, cellery, crinkle, centennial badge,... I have to admit, if I found a 201 with the early type chromed plates I would love it, even if my 1950 201 with pin stripe plates are rather stylish too ;- )

lindawmn 12-17-2018 04:56 PM

I think, then, I'll just enjoy the 128 crinkle finish I got for what it is - a really pretty machine that does a nice straight stitch. I paid about $100 and then found out the motor sucks. Bought a knee controller and my husband will rebuild the motor, but also bought a vintage motor/light/foot pedal set (working) because I didn't see the knee controllers at first. LOL. Eh, I figure I can always re-sell it, even if I take a bit of a loss. I learned something through the experience.

Mickey2 12-17-2018 05:19 PM

In very nice working condition they will probably fetch $100. Rewired, cleaned and sorted out they tend to cost a bit more. A bit unfortunate with the motor Linda, but with a DIY effort it will be fine again. It's not always easy to sell these cast iron machine. I think I payed about the equivalent of $80 dollar for my 201 and it needed a few replacement parts and a bit of work to run again too. It's still my favorite machine.

lindawmn 12-17-2018 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 (Post 8177966)
In very nice working condition they will probably fetch $100. Rewired, cleaned and sorted out they tend to cost a bit more. A bit unfortunate with the motor Linda, but with a DIY effort it will be fine again. It's not always easy to sell these cast iron machine. I think I payed about the equivalent of $80 dollar for my 201 and it needed a few replacement parts and a bit of work to run again too. It's still my favorite machine.

I don't mind keeping it or giving it to my sister, who does sew. My husband wants to rebuild the motor

leonf 12-18-2018 07:48 AM

I use my 128s as hand cranks.

lindawmn 12-23-2018 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by leonf (Post 8178233)
I use my 128s as hand cranks.

That could be a fun option. I bought a motor combo with foot pedal from someone who said it works - it does but you have to essentially floor the pedal. Sigh.