Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Davis Vertical Feed Treadle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/davis-vertical-feed-treadle-t310178.html)

Reginaromsey 03-16-2020 06:09 PM

Davis Vertical Feed Treadle

I just bought a Davis Vertical Feed treadle machine for $15. She had said it was one with a hand crank, but was mistaken. For the price I took it anyway! When I saw it I thought it would be another for the Evapo-Rust line, but after putting oil in all the holes and soaking the oil pad for the shuttle it began to move smoothly and quietly. It will still get things soaked a bit, but that seems to actually be minor. I downloaded a manual, but it was for the Vertical High Arm and they have differences, such as what is the small lever above the presser foot lever? Is it possible to put a Hand crank other than the new type on this machine? If not how have others found the new type. I don’t have a treadle stand to put it in.
Manual?
Hand crank?

WIChix 03-16-2020 06:43 PM

The extra lever above the presser foot lever is used when sewing thick fabric sandwiches:quilts , woolens, etc. There are some important things to know about removing the faceplate... Don't do it until you've read the manual/seen the you tube videos.
I believe Davis hand cranks are very rare. Davis also made and badged the VF for other sellers, so finding a cabinet/irons wont be difficult. One of the Minnesota models, H?, and a few others. There is a Davis VF group on Facebook.

leonf 03-17-2020 06:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
WIChix is so right about the faceplate. approach with caution. Getting it back on is a test in dexterity and patience..

Yes, Davis cranks are rare and the new repros are for Singers. Save your money. They won't help you.

Great machines for many layers.of fabric.

leonf 03-17-2020 06:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
PS Handcrank pictured is on a Davis, but not a vertical feed. I haven't tried to HC the Davis. Mine came on a treadle.

And BTW if you find a treadle base, the drive wheel is on a cone shaped axle. That was a surprise to me.

Reginaromsey 03-18-2020 08:06 PM

Thank you! I’ve found the manual online that was so helpfully located!

leonf 03-19-2020 06:19 AM

Since we are dealing with ancient tech here... Regina, did you know that some early music boxes with changeable "records" were made by Regina. Beautiful things..

be sure and oil all the moving parts under the bed and what you can reach in the pillar.

[email protected] 04-27-2021 02:46 PM

Identification Help Needed

5 Attachment(s)
I recently purchased this Davis NVF Treadle at a local auction for $6.90. It is in wonderful shape in all aspects! It came with the manual and many attachments; 7 bobbins and two shuttles. So far I haven't tried the second on in the machine as yet. Would someone be able to help date and identify using the pictures I've attached?
Thanking ALL in advance for any shared help .

jlhmnj 04-29-2021 12:29 AM

Good deal for $6.90. Someone marked it was made in 1917. The 7 digit serial number on the front slide plate would be needed to see how accurate this is. Davis NVF or new vertical feed is the make and model.

[email protected] 05-25-2021 08:32 AM

Davis NVF

The thread tension knob has 1915 stamped on it....

Originally Posted by jlhmnj (Post 8479925)
Good deal for $6.90. Someone marked it was made in 1917. The 7 digit serial number on the front slide plate would be needed to see how accurate this is. Davis NVF or new vertical feed is the make and model.