Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Decal reglue / repair (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/decal-reglue-repair-t244834.html)

J Miller 04-08-2014 07:43 PM

Decal reglue / repair

1 Attachment(s)
I was sewing a Whacky Bag on my HOTHER today and noticed that there is a crack towards the right side of the decal in the center of the bed. To the left of the crack is a bubble. I touched it and you can see it move.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470786[/ATTACH]
The bubble is under the petuum with the crack running through the m. Try as I might I couldn't get the camera to see what my eyes did.

I have no idea how long that bubble has been there, but I want to fix it. Somehow get something gluie under the decal then gently massage it down. Last thing I want is something snagging that bubble and destroying the decal.

I have some ideas, but thought I'd ask here. Some of our members can be downright creative with little things like this.

TIA

Joe

Caroline S 04-09-2014 05:52 AM

Do you have any idea what finish originally covered the decals? Perhaps using the french polish method would re-seal the decal. Just an idea.

minibarn 04-09-2014 05:58 AM

This sounds silly, and I am the farthest thing from an expert here and not very creative either, but could you get a tiny syringe and inject some "gluie" stuff under the bubble then smooth it out?

And what is a Whacky Bag?

Jp

J Miller 04-09-2014 06:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 6667136)
Do you have any idea what finish originally covered the decals? Perhaps using the french polish method would re-seal the decal. Just an idea.

Caroline,

Not a clue. There is no signs of worn shellac like the old Singers and others have. There is signs of wear, but I'm not sure if it's wear into a clear surface coating, or into the paint.
The main decals seem to be covered by some kind of a clear coat as they are in great shape for a machine this age and with the amount of use it's had.
The decal "SEWMATIC" on the arm between the two green plaid strips is on the surface and wearing off.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470843[/ATTACH]
I've been considering the french polish idea or spray shellac to cover the decal, but it would still need something under it to stick it down.

Joe

J Miller 04-09-2014 07:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by minibarn (Post 6667145)
This sounds silly, and I am the farthest thing from an expert here and not very creative either, but could you get a tiny syringe and inject some "gluie" stuff under the bubble then smooth it out?

And what is a Whacky Bag?

Jp

Jp,

The syringe is one of the first ideas I had. I do have one around here somewhere with a very thin needle in it. What I'd have to figure out is what kind of glue to use to stick it down. Don't want something that dries quickly, and it can't be a thick type of liquid.

Here's a pic of a Whacky Bag I made with our first 500a:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470848[/ATTACH]
I first started making them as a means to test each machine I'd worked over. It consists of 80 3.5" squares, 1 19"x42" inner bag and 2 4"x28" handles. A total of 83 pieces. By the time I get done with one I've got the machine adjusted and ready to go.

My wife has been using them as door prizes and auction attractions on the gigs she's going too.

Joe

Tartan 04-09-2014 07:04 AM

I would try a liquid glue on the underneath of the machine to see how it reacts with the machine finish. If everything looks good, I would use a thin syringe to puncture the bubble to release the air underneath. I would then inject a tiny amount of glue and quickly smooth out the surface before the hole seals up with the glue.

J Miller 04-09-2014 07:26 AM

Tartan,

There is already a crack in the decal, so there's no air trapped underneath.

Your idea of testing the glue in a hidden spot is a good one I shall do.

Joe

Caroline S 04-09-2014 08:02 AM

Re: syringe. If you know someone who is diabetic or injects methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis see if you can get one from them. The needle is very tiny.

J Miller 04-09-2014 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 6667337)
Re: syringe. If you know someone who is diabetic or injects methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis see if you can get one from them. The needle is very tiny.

Hmmmm, I don't, but I'll mention it to my wife. She knows a lot more people than I do. Thanks for the idea.

Joe

oldsewnsew 04-09-2014 11:28 AM

too bad there isn't a hidden decal to xperiment with. Personally I'd lean towards crazy glue. Wear gloves. put in a couple drops and squeegee out with your gloved thumb. The risk might be it could haze the clear.