Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Dental tools (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/dental-tools-t302780.html)

Kelsie 02-04-2019 07:19 PM

Dental tools

I often read the old threads in the archives about restoring old machines. I will be looking for a treadle when we get home from Arizona. I do not want an "old beater" that is beyond my capabilities and desire at this point. I noticed today as we wandered around Quartzsite that one vendor had a lot of dental tools for sale. Would they be handy if I fall in love with one that does need some work?

Friar_Tuck 02-04-2019 08:16 PM

The various dental picks are great for getting into those little nooks and crannies!

Lee in Richmond 02-05-2019 04:44 AM

When you get to looking for one do not overlook on-line and/or estate auctions. I have seen one there and for a very nice price.

Mickey2 02-05-2019 04:53 AM

I don't use metal tools for cleaning and scraping out grime and dirt. I prefer coctail picks or bamboo tooth picks. They don't leave any marks or scratches. A bit of spray can oil or sewing machine oil and it's easy to clean out dried up dust and oil. Of you get a very rusty old fixup machine you might think about the dental tools. You could always get them if you like them think they look handy, but I would start with the wooden tooth pick or skewer. A box of cotton swabs is a must for me, and I like those velvety microfiber cloths.

leonf 02-05-2019 07:19 AM

Mickey2 once again shows a lot of wisdom. Dental pics do that the advantages of curves, but use them sparingly.

lawsonmugs 02-05-2019 09:46 AM

I use a dental curved pick to help grab the bobbin thread when I do fmq. It's handle to have by my machine to also use as a stiletto.

Kelsie 02-07-2019 05:57 PM

O.K. I decided I won't use the dental tools and we went back looking this morning because I saw a package of bamboo skewers but do you think I could find them? No. Mary you need one of my stilettos with pretty beads. I have one to match my 1967 Turquoise Singer and one in black and white to go with my FW.

Sewjourner 02-07-2019 06:29 PM

Wooden toothpicks work very well. Grab some chop sticks next time you go for Chinese food, they are great for turning out corners when you sew.

WIChix 02-08-2019 05:07 AM

I like to use a dental pik to clean between the teeth of the feed dogs.

bkay 02-08-2019 06:39 AM

When I clean on a 401, I use the piks a lot. I usually end up poking paper towel pieces in nasty places so that it will absorb the solvent when I'm using a toothbrush or something that is a less controlled application. It's easy to get the paper out with a dental pik. Also, I use them sometimes to get the end of a strip of t-shirt material around a shaft, so that I can clean the back side.

bkay