Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   (In)destructible Husqvarna (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/destructible-husqvarna-t273391.html)

steihy 12-16-2015 01:58 PM

(In)destructible Husqvarna

4 Attachment(s)
In between the fun stuff I promised to refurbish a few machines to give to a refugee reception center. The Husqvarna CB-N and series 8 and 12 straight stitchers are common here, I'd collected 4 freebies/cheap ones to see what I could get from them. Wonderful machines, by the way, will post a thread with a good one later.
I had high hopes for this particular CB-N because it turned really smoothly with the hand wheel, very little friction, just a very slight rasping sound I didn't recognize. Feed moved nicely, even dropped without any force. Quick job, I guessed.

After a couple of hours work on the wiring and cleaning the head - starting on the bobbin area, I finally eyeballed the hook assembly while turning the hand wheel. It didn't move.

Pictures tell the rest of the story. No wonder there was little friction. I prefer to believe that the person who listed the sm as functional in the giveaway section didn't know what he was doing.

SteveH 12-16-2015 02:12 PM

looks like a fairly fresh break.

the crunch on the bottom of the case looks to be evidence of the same...

EDIT: It CAN be fixed.... fair bit of work, but it is doable

sewbeadit 12-16-2015 06:06 PM

That is sad. Looks like it would have been a good machine. I never look underneath, I think I should in the future! Well sometimes if the machine is really yucky all over I will look.lol

Rodney 12-16-2015 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7405814)
looks like a fairly fresh break.

the crunch on the bottom of the case looks to be evidence of the same...

EDIT: It CAN be fixed.... fair bit of work, but it is doable

What Steve said.
Silver solder might be one option. If there's enough room, you might be able to drill and tap it for a screw thru the break as another way of repairing it. I'm not sure that there's enough surface area for glues like epoxy to hold.
Rodney

SteveH 12-17-2015 08:52 AM

100% correct Rodney. The drill through, tap and set screw is the right way to fix this. Then, during assembly, add as thin a layer as possible of JB weld to the seam before applying the set screw. (most folks do not realize that it works better the thinner you can apply it)

steihy 12-17-2015 11:41 AM

Ah, thank you guys. Good advise, and maybe I could get all my thumbs organized to pull it off...
As it is, I'll put it aside for now and work on the other machines. These machines are so common I'll definitely find a spare, and maybe this will be my first complete tear down and rebuild.

Macybaby 12-17-2015 02:27 PM

I wish they were common over here, I'd love to get one.

greywuuf 12-19-2015 03:46 PM

What Cathy said.....that thing looks like a dream!