Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Do you visit all your machines on a regular basis? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/do-you-visit-all-your-machines-regular-basis-t280575.html)

bearisgray 07-19-2016 08:25 AM

Do you visit all your machines on a regular basis?

I am feeling guilty.

I "think" my machines might stay fairly happy if I just turn the wheel (by hand - if it's stored too far away to be convenient to an electrical outlet) twenty times a couple of times a year just to stir things up now and then.

The guilty part comes from - it's a bit of a chore to access some of these machines to do that. They are buried under other things or stuck away in some far corner with stuff in front of them. (In other words, they are not being used.)

Cari-in-Oly 07-19-2016 11:00 AM

I know that guilty feeling well. I used to regularly switch out machines in my favorite cabinet so that they all got some exercise, but I now have too many machines in too small of a house to be able to do that. Some of my favorites are now feeling neglected. I will remedy this situation soon with a new larger house, fewer machines, and a separate storage shed/work shop.

Cari

tuckyquilter 07-19-2016 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh yes, I sew on all my machines on a regular basis. Each one has an assigned project. This one, Sylvie, my 1910, is the machine I use when sewing the guild quilt kits I bring home between mtgs. I love her great stitches and it's just fun spending time on her.
Our guild meets on a Tuesday, so that's the day I dedicate to guild projects. I'm also the BOM chairman.

Lyncat 07-21-2016 05:48 AM

I oil them all and sew a little on each one at least a couple of times a year.

tessagin 07-21-2016 06:05 AM

I heard my 401 early this morning. I had it tucked away til I got the sewing room finished but DH needed a denim shirt mended to take to work. He cleaned her up before using her. God bless him. He had her so well maintained and sewing like butter the only reason I heard him using her was because it was a much needed early nature call. He told me he also pulled the 2662 out and gave her an oiling and maintenance check. Then he put them back. The man does not leave a mess. I have never had to pick up after him. I'll stop before I go on and on and etc.

bearisgray 07-23-2016 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 7607306)
I heard my 401 early this morning. I had it tucked away til I got the sewing room finished but DH needed a denim shirt mended to take to work. He cleaned her up before using her. God bless him. He had her so well maintained and sewing like butter the only reason I heard him using her was because it was a much needed early nature call. He told me he also pulled the 2662 out and gave her an oiling and maintenance check. Then he put them back. The man does not leave a mess. I have never had to pick up after him. I'll stop before I go on and on and etc.

He definitely sounds like a keeper!