Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Does anyone recognize this machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/does-anyone-recognize-machine-t217265.html)

kitsykeel 03-24-2013 07:42 PM

Does anyone recognize this machine?

3 Attachment(s)
Brought this home from our Habitat for Humanity Restore to clean and make sure it runs. Well, it cleaned up nicely and makes a nice stitch, but would not zigzag. Looked inside and found a broken gear (I think that's what it is.) See picture below of broken gear and [ATTACH=CONFIG]404139[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]404140[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]404141[/ATTACH]where it would fit. Can this be fixed and how difficult would it be?

jlhmnj 03-24-2013 08:18 PM

Is that a Sears metal ID tag below the bed? If so it will have the model number which would help with locating and pricing parts.

Jon

Pilgrim 03-24-2013 09:02 PM

She's awfully pretty.

kitsykeel 03-24-2013 09:32 PM

Jon,

I don't know if it is Sears, but it says Model 550 EC, serial no. 20632. Does that mean anything to anyone and how would I look this up?

Originally Posted by jlhmnj (Post 5952023)
Is that a Sears metal ID tag below the bed? If so it will have the model number which would help with locating and pricing parts.

Jon

Candace 03-24-2013 09:35 PM

It would not be an easy fix by any means and honestly the time and money put into the machine will not be recoverable.

kitsykeel 03-24-2013 10:26 PM

Thanks Candace,

I am just volunteering on this machine and they will have to sell as is. I'm certain they don't want to pay a repairman what it would cost for parts and labor. I will take it back tomorrow and pick up another and see what I can do for the next one.

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5952106)
It would not be an easy fix by any means and honestly the time and money put into the machine will not be recoverable.

J Miller 03-25-2013 03:49 AM

Kitsy,

Put the broken gear in a zip lock and keep it with the machine. Someone might want it as a sample to try to fix it. At least with the broken part there they'd have an idea what they were getting into.

Another good machine DOA due to plastic junk parts. How sad.

Joe

kitsykeel 03-25-2013 02:35 PM

Hi Joe,

I swear I thought of you when I looked inside and found that plastic part. Such a shame because it is a very nice machine. Thanks for advice to put part in baggie and attach to machine with a note. We can always count on you for good advice.

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5952325)
Kitsy,

Put the broken gear in a zip lock and keep it with the machine. Someone might want it as a sample to try to fix it. At least with the broken part there they'd have an idea what they were getting into.

Another good machine DOA due to plastic junk parts. How sad.

Joe