Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Does anyone use a Singer bobbin threader? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/does-anyone-use-singer-bobbin-threader-t199752.html)

ArizonaKAT 09-06-2012 02:52 PM

Does anyone use a Singer bobbin threader?

I bought a Singer bobbin threader at WalMart the other day. It works by battery or electric. What a great idea! The only problem is that my machines won't sew when I use a bobbin threaded with it. Tried it on both my FWs and my 201.

Does anyone else have a bobbin threader and am I just doing something wrong when I thread the bobbins?

J Miller 09-06-2012 03:07 PM

AZKat,

We use a Wrights Sidewinder bobbin winder. It works great. We've used it on every machine that it fill bobbins for and never had a problem.
I'm unfamiliar with the Singer winder, so I can't give you any advice. Did it come with instructions?

And, why is it your machines won't sew with bobbins wound with machine? Is it tension problems or ... ?

To use ours all we do is put a spool of thread on the spool peg, run the thread through the guide to the tension, around the tension to the bobbin. There is a little flipper switch that controls when the winder shuts off so all we do is push the start button and wait for it to do it's thing.

Joe

ArizonaKAT 09-06-2012 03:15 PM

Joe,

That exactly how this one works. I was using the battery. I wonder if it doesn't thread the bobbin tight enough using the battery. The stitching was just plain lose. I tried playing with the tension but that didn't help. Went back to a bobbin threated by sewing machine and they both worked fine.

J Miller 09-06-2012 04:14 PM

We have noticed that when the batteries on this one get low it slows down a lot. So we try to keep fresh batteries in it. Try new batteries, it might help. Does yours have an AC adapter? If so give it a try. If it turns faster it might tighten up the thread.

Joe

MaggieLou 09-07-2012 06:02 AM

I found I couldn't use the bobbin winder with Bottom Line thread or any bobbin thread. It winds too fast and I get a rats nest on the bobbin. I have to use the machine where I can control the speed.

sunny42539 09-07-2012 05:50 PM

I used the bobbin winder without any problem. When I got my Vintage White machine that winds bobbins as you sew, I gave it to my best friend.

Lyncat 09-07-2012 08:03 PM

I almost always use a bobbin wonder. The bobbins work in all the machines...newer or vintage. I got tired of trying to remember all the different types of machine bobbin winders, and the Brother SE 350 winder broke pretty quickly.

masufa 09-07-2012 08:09 PM

I use the Sidewinder for bobbins for a FW, 301, 401, Viking 21 and have had no problems

BETTY62 09-07-2012 08:46 PM

I love the Sidewinder. I would be so lost without it.

romanojg 09-08-2012 05:19 AM

I have a sidewinder but can't use it on my Viking machines because they wind the thread in a different direction than most machines do. I can use it on my Kenmore and it works great. I also have a lot of old metal bobbins that I wind thread on to take with me in my traveling sewing case for appliquing on the go.