Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Does your 328 or similar Singer clatter .......... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/does-your-328-similar-singer-clatter-t247540.html)

J Miller 05-28-2014 04:39 PM

Does your 328 or similar Singer clatter ..........

2 Attachment(s)
Does your 328 or similar Singer clatter ..........
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477182[/ATTACH]
............. like Danica Patrick's race car just before the engine blew?

Well here's a tip, check the gap between the heal of the bobbin case and the cushion spring on the bobbin case latch using a narrow gap gauge. Red arrow in the second pic.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477183[/ATTACH]
The gap should be between .010" to .015" on a 328, but find the specs in the service manuals for other models. This one was set at .032" and the machine sounded like it was gonna throw a rod.
You adjust it by loosening the closest screw to you on the right of the bobbin case.

Once the gap was reduced to .013" the clattering stopped and the machine actually sounded like a sewing machine.
Sewed better too. The tension is affected by this gap if it's too tight or too loose.

Joe

foufymaus 05-28-2014 05:45 PM

Yes!! I knew it wasn't supposed to sound like an old tractor! LOL I'll have to double check. That's in millimeter right?

J Miller 05-28-2014 07:07 PM

Nope, thousands of an inch. " = inch.

Joe

foufymaus 05-28-2014 07:31 PM

gotcha. :D I'll bust out the old electrical engineering ruler. Thanks :D

J Miller 05-29-2014 04:41 AM

foufymaus,

The Singer service manual did not include metric specs or I would have giving them. I wasn't being a smart alack. And I don't have any way here to convert such small inch measurement to metric.

Joe

Candace 05-29-2014 10:12 AM

I believe the last one I caught and released was adjusted similarly and still sounded like a tractor because of the poorly designed linkage system. But, I'll have to double check my next one.

Jingle 05-29-2014 10:15 AM

My 328K is in the closet. I seldom use it. I remember noise was never a problem.

cjr 05-29-2014 10:22 AM

I have one that was my Mom's. Love it. my DH can not believe a machine that old works so well. I put it on DR table & use it to quilt with. I piece on another vintage in my sewing room

foufymaus 05-29-2014 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6735731)
foufymaus,

The Singer service manual did not include metric specs or I would have giving them. I wasn't being a smart alack. And I don't have any way here to convert such small inch measurement to metric.

Joe

It's no probs. LOL I totally understood. :D I was just asking for clarification.

J Miller 05-29-2014 02:10 PM

The 328 is definitely not a quiet machine as machines go. But the clatter I removed by adjusting the bobbin case cushion spring makes it quite by comparison.
Both the one I'm working on and mine are noisier than they need to be that's for sure, but I'd take them over a new plastic fantastic any time.

Joe