Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Downton Abbey sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/downton-abbey-sewing-machine-t233050.html)

Jennifer23 10-23-2013 12:00 AM

Downton Abbey sewing machine

2 Attachment(s)
I was excited when the preview at the end of last week's Downton Abbey showed someone with a sewing machine, and even more excited when it was a bit of a plot point this week. And, it's pretty!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]442759[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]442760[/ATTACH]

It looks like a 128 with Victorian decals, in very nice condition. They had the bobbin winder engaged as she sewed, which I thought was an unfortunate error, but she did a good job of sewing in random directions for no apparent reason otherwise.

For all those of you that don't watch Downton yet, perhaps this is a reason to start! :thumbup:

manicmike 10-23-2013 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 (Post 6363394)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]442760[/ATTACH]

Aw, she looks so happy. That's it, I'm getting a 128 HC :o

Sideways 10-23-2013 01:04 AM

I saw that episode, I was hoping someone would capture a picture! Lovely machine, was very excited to see it featured!

amcatanzaro 10-23-2013 03:14 AM

Yay! I did think it was rather loud though. I can't imagine Downton is a quiet house, especially when there were at least five people in there staring at it.

Lew Schiller 10-23-2013 06:11 AM

Umm - we kind of trailed off DA a couple seasons ago - I forget if WWI was over - but it was certainly in progress.
So if this comes from a more recent period in time, wouldn't a sewing machine be pretty much a household fixture rather than a technological marvel? Or was that not the plot point...haven't seen this episode.

quiltsRfun 10-23-2013 06:16 AM

Must be from the new season which I won't be able to see until January. Doesn't look familiar from what I've seen. But I'll be watching for it.

mighty 10-23-2013 07:06 AM

Really is a beautiful machine.

Jennifer23 10-23-2013 12:36 PM

For context, the episode is set in 1922, and I think the novelty was that it was electric (if hand cranked, she would have been expected to sew in her room, but there aren't plug-ins in the servants' quarters). It was loud, but I wonder how much of the noise was added in by the foley artists afterwards.

It is from the season will start in the US in January - I've been cheating and watching online, since it's currently airing in Britain.

BuzzinBumble 10-24-2013 04:56 AM

So fun that you got photos of this! That is funny that you caught the bobbin winder boo boo. If it is set in 1922, then that would have been exciting technology indeed. Can't wait until the new season starts in January!

amcatanzaro 10-24-2013 04:59 AM

It was a similar fuss about the toaster a season or two ago.

:D I might have muttered to myself, "Oh! Sweetie! You need to oil that!"