Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Dressmaker Needs Bobbin Winder Mechanism (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/dressmaker-needs-bobbin-winder-mechanism-t288939.html)

Blackberry 06-14-2017 07:47 AM

Dressmaker Needs Bobbin Winder Mechanism

1 Attachment(s)
This machine is in really good condition as far as the appearance goes. However it is missing the bobbin winder mechanism that I believe attaches up by the wheel. I haven't had time to check out other things because if I can't find a bobbin winder then it really is no use to me. Does anyone know how to go about finding a bobbin winder mechanism for this machine.

cashs_mom 06-14-2017 07:59 AM

Are you wanting the bobbin winder just to have a complete machine or so that you can use the machine? I haven't been able to use the bobbin winder on my Rocketeer and haven't gotten it to Kim to fix so I just wind the bobbins on another machine.

maudeflanagan 06-14-2017 08:35 AM

Any idea what the bobbin winder should look like?

Cari-in-Oly 06-14-2017 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That's not something that's going to be easy to find. This is an uncommon machine and it's the first one I've seen without the bobbin winder. Your best bet is to set up an Ebay search. I'd do something like "Long shuttle zig zag machine". This machine was badged under several different names so a name search might not show it. Dressmaker, White, Morse and Universal are just some of the names this machine was sold under. here's a pic of mine so you can see what it looks like. Mine is also a Dressmaker, but mine is unusual in that it takes cams.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]574605[/ATTACH]

Cari

maudeflanagan 06-14-2017 10:48 AM

Oh wow. I didn't realize it was a long bobbin machine. Amazing.

leonf 06-14-2017 11:07 AM

May be easier to find a whole new head that uses the same long bobbins and use it for spinning them. Is that a 3/4 head?

bkay 06-14-2017 11:25 AM

So, if it's a long bobbin machine, does it have those removable shuttles like one of the old treadle or hand crank?

bkay

Cari-in-Oly 06-14-2017 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bkay (Post 7843744)
So, if it's a long bobbin machine, does it have those removable shuttles like one of the old treadle or hand crank?

bkay

Yep it sure does, and yes it's a 3/4 size machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]574613[/ATTACH]

Cari

Mickey2 06-14-2017 02:01 PM

A long bobbin zigzagger, the weirdest thing. Does it work. Someone with a lathe machine and access to a metal work shop can do fantastic things when it comes to copying parts. You will not get chromed steel, but polished stainless steel is pretty close (chrome in the alloy in stead). It's not easy though, at least not within reasonable costs. At first I though don't bother, but a long bobbin zigzagger isn't very common is it?

Cari-in-Oly 06-14-2017 03:17 PM

Nope, not common. Yes they do work. They've been discussed here a while back, and over on VSS. There's a few of us who have or have had them though mine is the only one I've seen that takes cams. I wasn't all that interested in it until I saw the cam door on top. I wonder if a bobbin winder from a different machine would work. I don't know if the size of it's shuttle and bobbin is the same size as anything else.

Cari