Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   dropped 1, added three, interestng Sew Gem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/dropped-1-added-three-interestng-sew-gem-t298589.html)

leonf 07-30-2018 06:05 AM

dropped 1, added three, interestng Sew Gem

5 Attachment(s)
I gave the VSM museum a Singer 115. but there were thrifts and antique shops on the way.

Acquired a Rough red eye with a problem you will see. A Spartan I had been wanting, just 'cause.
and a Sew Gem just because it has a chain drive to under bed stuff..

The Spartan didn't have a serial # in the regular place. Do they hide them? or is that something that makes it a Spartan. It had an aftermarket motor that didn't quite fit. Previous owner said Spartan came out before Singer. I gently corrected her.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598585[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598581[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598582[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598583[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]598584[/ATTACH]

leonf 07-30-2018 06:06 AM

Dangerous wiring all the way around.

pennycandy 07-30-2018 07:09 PM

That chain drive is interesting. I can see why you picked it up.

Is that a mouse nest in the Spartan? It looks like fiberglass insulation. I do hope that someone did not let lint build up that much without cleaning the machine.

Mickey2 07-31-2018 02:21 AM

I think the Spartan had the serial number embossed under the bed, in front there some where. I like the chain driven model, it looks very durable. You might have to invest in something with teflon, I swear by Finish Line Ceramic Wet Lube for chains like that ;- ) I hope you have a few extra feet for it, or it might have to be a dedicated zipper machine. It looks like class 66 bobbins, better make sure it's the correct type for the machine. It's a drop in bobbin case, so maybe 66 bobbins are correct?

luvstoquilt 07-31-2018 06:04 AM

Leo for, if you lived in Illinois I would be stalking you when you go shopping! You find the greatest stuff. I am desperately searching for a featherweight table and can’t find one around here! Love those machines.

leonf 07-31-2018 06:20 AM

The 66 redeye had the mess at the bobbin/feed dog area. It was all just sewing fluff.

I had a FW nearby and the first foot out worked, Sew gem stitches by hand. There is quite a bit of slack in the chain. I don't think it will really be a user. I'll see.

I've been looking for a FW table for years now. I haven't found one I want to shell out the $ for though.
Yes, I'm cheap.
Thanks for the hint on the Spartan ID.

Mickey2 07-31-2018 09:41 AM

Why does the Sew-Gem have two bobbin covers? Unusual and intersting setup. You have to let us know how it runs and sounds. Sometimes you get the most fantastic finds Leon.

Cari-in-Oly 07-31-2018 12:00 PM

Leon the Sew Gem bobbins look like a class 66 but they're not, the inner hole is smaller and they don't have the notch that's needed for a 66 to work on the bobbin winder. Right now there's someone on a FB group with a bunch of them, it's been an ongoing discussion for a couple days.

Cari

leonf 07-31-2018 12:02 PM

Thanks. all I knew is that mine came with thread on it. and under it..hehe.

Under the front cover looks pretty bare. I'll take a pic.

SusieQOH 08-02-2018 11:58 AM

leonf- I have about 10 machines, (not a lot with this crowd lol) and not one has a drop-in bobbin.
What are the pros/cons of one?