Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Electrical Zing .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/electrical-zing-t205177.html)

NewbieToQuilting 11-05-2012 10:35 AM

Electrical Zing ....

1 Attachment(s)
I think I found the source of the electrical zing whenever I turn on the machine. This is behind where the power cord meets the machine. Now what?!?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]374565[/ATTACH]:shock:

J Miller 11-05-2012 11:25 AM

Rewire time. Or if there is enough extra length put a new end on the bare wire or make a circle connection with it. Just make sure no two wires touch each other ( unless they are supposed to ) or any part of the machine.

Joe

NewbieToQuilting 11-05-2012 12:55 PM

​Going to try the new ends first. If it comes down to having it rewired, what would be a fair price to pay? I saw the tutorial from Rain and think its beyond my ability...

pocoellie 11-05-2012 01:05 PM

I agree with Joe, I don't think simply putting new ends on, is going to help. What I will say, is that I think you've been VERY LUCKY.

NewbieToQuilting 11-05-2012 02:24 PM

Would the bare wire there be what is causing motor to smoke? Would it be easier to just replace the motor and wiring all together? It may be safer in the long run, maybe?? Can a novice replace motors? I really want to learn how to do this, just scared I guess. That and I don't want a heafty bill!

pocoellie 11-05-2012 02:40 PM

Look in the tutorial sectional on here, and you should find at least one by Billy(Lost51, I think) on totally taking your machine apart and putting it back together. The wiring shouldn't be that hard to do, just to give you some encouragement. You can do it!!!!!!!!!!

J Miller 11-05-2012 06:14 PM

Rewiring a motor is a piece of cake. Rewiring a potted motor is a piece of cake. If you can follow a recipe and bake a cake, or follow the instructions on a pattern and make a dress or a pair of pants, you can follow Rains tutorial and rewire the motor. Just read it first, reread it again, get all the tools and supplies ready ahead of time. And follow it one step at a time.

Newbie, I believe your machine is a 201-2 is it not? If so then the only motors you're going to find are used ones from donor machines. There is an on line store somewhere that sold remanufactured potted motors, but you have to send yours back. I lost that link when my other computer hard drive died.

In a day or two, maybe tomorrow I'm going to do a post on rewiring potted motors. It's not going to be a tutorial as I could never come close to the one Rain did, but some comments and pictures about what I ran into when I just did the one I did. It works pretty good too.

From your picture I can't really tell how bad the wires are on your machine. If you unscrew the single screw at the top center of the cord block and take a picture of the wiring from far enough away to see everything, that would help.

Joe

NewbieToQuilting 11-05-2012 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5637672)
Rewiring a motor is a piece of cake. Rewiring a potted motor is a piece of cake. If you can follow a recipe and bake a cake, or follow the instructions on a pattern and make a dress or a pair of pants, you can follow Rains tutorial and rewire the motor. Just read it first, reread it again, get all the tools and supplies ready ahead of time. And follow it one step at a time.

Newbie, I believe your machine is a 201-2 is it not? If so then the only motors you're going to find are used ones from donor machines. There is an on line store somewhere that sold remanufactured potted motors, but you have to send yours back. I lost that link when my other computer hard drive died.

In a day or two, maybe tomorrow I'm going to do a post on rewiring potted motors. It's not going to be a tutorial as I could never come close to the one Rain did, but some comments and pictures about what I ran into when I just did the one I did. It works pretty good too.

From your picture I can't really tell how bad the wires are on your machine. If you unscrew the single screw at the top center of the cord block and take a picture of the wiring from far enough away to see everything, that would help.

Joe

Hey, Joe. Yes, it is a 201-2. I think I found the link you are referring to. I did bookmark it just in case. The wire doesn't look that bad. I showed my hubby and he is going to try to put new caps on. I will try to get a better pic of the wires for you. If the new caps don't work I will try to follow Rain's tutorial. Thank you so much for all your help.

On refinishing::: The paint is in rougher shape than I originally thought and the decals are pretty worn. Would you refinish it or just let her be as is? I think it gives her personality, but then again she isn't as pretty as I know she can be! Thoughts?

DanofNJ 11-05-2012 06:48 PM

First make it safe. Then worry about cosmetics!

NewbieToQuilting 11-07-2012 07:26 AM

Hubby is going to work on it tomorrow! Can't wait to get it working so I can use it SAFELY!!! Then to worry about the finish on it and the cabinet!