Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Estate Sale Find In Monkey Wards Box (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/estate-sale-find-monkey-wards-box-t223112.html)

Blackberry 06-06-2013 11:38 AM

Estate Sale Find In Monkey Wards Box

4 Attachment(s)
My DH and I were at an estate sale this morning and he spotted this Monkey Ward Box which was taped up and he figured it was a Wards machine. He took a peek and saw the singer logo on top and purchased it for $35 not knowing what it was exactly as it was incased in Styrofoam padding. It turned out to be a Singer with the Sphinx decals. It is in pretty good condition, the needle goes up and down, the wheel is a little hard to turn but I am sure it needs a good oiling and some other tlc. The number is 16429204. In checking the Singer serial number database it appears it was mfg'd in 1899. The database for numbers with no letters does not give the model of this machine. I think it might be a V2, 27, or 127. Does anyone have a clue as to the model of this machine. The motor, light and the bobbin winder mechanism were loose in the box. It appears to have been a treadle at one time but has been converted to an electric model. Also, I don't believe the wheel was the original one that came with this machine. I believe this machine would have had a spoke wheel. I am thinking I would like to turn it into a hand crank. Would this be a possibility for this machine. These pictures were taken as we took it out of the box. It needs to be thoroughly cleaned.

foufymaus 06-06-2013 11:49 AM

Oh goodness that's a beautiful machine. I wish i was that lucky. I wish I could help, but alas I often find more Kenmore's than Singers. Still, I would totally nab that machine for that price. ;)

J Miller 06-06-2013 12:08 PM

Blackberry,

That is either a V2 or a 27. My guess is a 27. The bobbin winder is up higher on the 127 lower on the 27.

It looks like it has the early manual top tension release, you have to push on the tab to release the tension to thread it. I'm not sure though as the camera angle isn't clear on that.

Your pics didn't fully load, they are huge and my machine choked on them. So, did the motor come on the machine? If so and there is a motor mount boss on the right side of the pillar straight down from the main shaft you can make it into a hand crank machine.
You'll need a spoked hand wheel too.

That's a nice machine. Congrats on getting it.

Joe

pocoellie 06-06-2013 03:30 PM

What a beautiful machine. Your husband did a great job of buying it.

caroloto 06-06-2013 03:36 PM

Nice!!! A real beautiful machine and hope you take pictures after it's clean up to show!

Sideways 06-06-2013 07:40 PM

What a beautiful machine and a lucky find!! Don't you just love finding treasure!!

Caroline S 06-07-2013 06:32 AM

The hand wheel was likely changed when the machine was electrified. Usually a lot of oiling should loosen it up. I would be a good candidate to convert to a hand crank if you can find a replacement spoked wheel.

manicmike 06-07-2013 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6107359)
That is either a V2 or a 27. My guess is a 27.

Think you're right Joe. The V2 has a kidney shaped, Japanned rear cover, AFAIK.

haylillan 06-07-2013 07:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by manicmike (Post 6108849)
Think you're right Joe. The V2 has a kidney shaped, Japanned rear cover, AFAIK.

do you mean like this one

mjhaess 06-08-2013 03:27 AM

Great find...Beautiful machine and a great price...Congrats!!