Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Ever regret buying too many vintage machines?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/ever-regret-buying-too-many-vintage-machines-t277845.html)

Ms Grace 04-17-2016 07:07 PM

Ever regret buying too many vintage machines??

Do any of you ever regret buying too many vintage machines?
I have 4 featherweights and 3 301's. (And 2 newer Juki's)
I think my OCD is acting up this week, I feel very overwhelmed with all these machines.
I think I need to sell a few of them.

Cari-in-Oly 04-17-2016 10:22 PM

I think I have a few regrets. I have around 60 machines. I've been buying vintage machines for over 6 years now, and am finally at a place where I know which machines make my heart sing and which ones don't. I've started re homing the ones that don't fit the parameters of my collection or that I have multiples of. I'm only going to keep my favorites, and the most valuable ones which are new machines(embroidery and a long arm).

Cari

Mickey2 04-18-2016 01:42 AM

No regrets so far. I don't have that many machines, and most of them get regular use. I would regret paying too much though, they aren't always easy to sell or find a new home for. At this point I have kept 5 machines, and I'm still interested in new discoveries.

Macybaby 04-18-2016 04:50 AM

Yes, because it's a pain finding people who will take them. I only have room for about 125 of them, and I don't like having them on the floor.

Though in truth, there are only a few I regret buying - most of them I had a good reason I bought them at the time (like they were part of a larger purchase, or came with a cabinet or accessories that made it a good deal). I just have more than I have space for.

Blackberry 04-18-2016 05:36 AM

I haven't regretted any of my purchases except 2 in which I paid more than I should. I just got caught up into buying without waiting and hunting. I tell myself I need to find a home for some of my duplicate machines but when I look at them I just can't seem to part with them. I guess I am too afraid the buyer will not treat or care for the machine as I would, so I just put the cover back on and set the machine back in it's place on the shelf.

Freaky_Quilts_Dragon 04-18-2016 06:01 AM

Regrets about buying too many machines? Well I kinda regret my very first sewing machine as it turned out to be a plastic case filled with repair bills. I more regret that I didn't know to demand the repair shop show me or tell me what the issues might have been so I could avoid repeating them, or that another red flag was that they didn't know what the problem was but charged me big bills for it anyway. As for my vintage machines, no regrets. I have four right now, I have the room & didn't spend big bucks I couldn't afford on them, so I'm happy!

I do kick myself not buying some machines. There where some that I wanted and had the opportunity to buy at a great price but passed, and one I returned to the store for a design feature I detested but I found out soon after there was a cheap and effective work arround. I don't kick myself too much though, just enough to reflect on what happened and make better choices next time. My hobby enriches my life and I'm a much happier person for having these wonderful machines and you wonderful people in my life. As long as you're better off for it and it doesn't get in the way of being a healthy person you shouldn't have to change.

If you really want or need to rehome some of your machines, go right ahead. If you think you are having a bit of a groundless freakout, I'd recommend a good cup of tea, sewing on a quilt or two, and think about it latter when you feel nice and grounded.

nanna-up-north 04-18-2016 06:17 AM

Not really. I actually use most of the 17 machines I have. And, since we spend 6 months at one house and 6 months at the other I have duplicates so I don't have to move them back and forth. My favorites are:

the FWs for piecing
the 15-91s for quilting
the 127s for binding
the Viking 1+ for mending and zig-zag

But, I really don't need any more at this point.

Jane Quilter 04-18-2016 06:28 AM

I would recommend that you get rid of any machine you haven't used in 5 years. Clutter is paralyzing, and quilters are already overwhelmed with fabric and tools that we do use or will use. Do you have a grand daughter or niece who wants to be like you, and sew? Gift her a featherweight and start her on aprons, quilt patches, or doll clothes......just an idea.....wish you well!

ontheriver 04-18-2016 07:57 AM

I love my vintage machines and a few I use. I have 2 singers, a red eye and an old one (96 years old) that are just on display cause they to me are beautiful although both still work. My favorite is my 401 slant needle which is on loan to my mom since her machine broke (a new brother that was not worth the money). She also loves the 401 so I am in the market for a replacement. I buy machines that are a good price, clean and oil and pass on to someone wanting to learn to sew. I just bought a kenmore ultra stitch 12 at a garage sale this weekend for 8.00. It is now running like brand new. I'm going to keep it set up for zigzag and satin stitch as I hate to change my main piecing machine over. Of course when I find that 401 the kenmore can go to a new home where it is needed.

SewExtremeSeams 04-18-2016 08:42 AM

Good question. I have 30+ machines. I only regret buying a few. However, I have pretty much stopped buying them, though I love all of them. If I had an extra family room I would set them up in a museum style. They are wonderful pieces of history.